ADSL line test

Old July 22nd 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
i-ball

Default ADSL line test

A colleague of mine recently signed up for adsl. According to the ISP the
line has been activated but the ADSL modem status is constantly saying
"Activating...." and Line light is not lit. Is there another way of
testing the line if it has ADSL enabled?

--
ian
to e-mail me,

Old July 22nd 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:02:04 +0100, i-ball wrote:

A colleague of mine recently signed up for adsl. According to the ISP
the
line has been activated but the ADSL modem status is constantly saying
"Activating...." and Line light is not lit. Is there another way of
testing the line if it has ADSL enabled?

Hi Ian,

There is a page on BT's website where you can track orders, the link
eludes me at the moment but I'll have a look for it.

If we assume that the ISP are are correct and the line is enabled then ask
your colleague to ensure that they've tried the modem in the master
telephone socket, removed all other telephony devices (phones, fax, Sky,
alarm, extension cables, caller ID box, analogue modem, etc.) from the
line and swapped the filters over. Once they've done this they'll need to
report it to their ISP as a fault so they can do some remote testing and
if necessary raise it with BT Wholesale.

--
Regards,

Old July 22nd 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
news
There is a page on BT's website where you can track orders, the link
eludes me at the moment but I'll have a look for it.

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...ABC&TELNUM=XYZ

Replacing ABC with your BT customer number (two letters followed by 8
digits) and XYZ with your telephone number including area code, no spaces.
(though their system is open slightly behind events on the ground)

Regards
Sunil

Old July 22nd 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

i-ball wrote:

A colleague of mine recently signed up for adsl. According to the ISP the
line has been activated but the ADSL modem status is constantly saying
"Activating...." and Line light is not lit. Is there another way of
testing the line if it has ADSL enabled?

You can hear the adsl carrier if you listen with your handset (key a single
digit to remove the dialtone). Omit the filter/splitter in this test.

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.
Old July 22nd 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:31:58 +0100, Tiny Ramsden
strung together this:

You can hear the adsl carrier if you listen with your handset

Sometimes. Not a foolproof way of testing for ADSL activation, you may
as well toss a coin.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 22nd 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Tiny Ramsden wrote:
i-ball wrote:

A colleague of mine recently signed up for adsl. According to the
ISP the line has been activated but the ADSL modem status is
constantly saying "Activating...." and Line light is not lit. Is
there another way of testing the line if it has ADSL enabled?

You can hear the adsl carrier if you listen with your handset (key
a single digit to remove the dialtone). Omit the filter/splitter in
this test.

Only works if the modem is in contact with the exchange & vice versa. If
it's not the DSLAm goes into park & you won't hear anything different..