Is Belkin's firewall a better bet to use than my sygate PF type ?

Old July 22nd 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

Default Is Belkin's firewall a better bet to use than my sygate PF type ?

I have a Belkin 7630 wireless router which I am more than happy with but I'm
not sure how good the apparent built in firewall is - any good or what ?

Also how do I show the connection speed as I could with my internal PCI ADSL
modem ?

Old July 22nd 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

___ wrote:

I have a Belkin 7630 wireless router which I am more than happy with
but I'm not sure how good the apparent built in firewall is - any
good or what ?

The router's firewall will do a good job of preventing external attacks -
but if you get infected with any Trojans, it won't stop them from sending
all your secrets *outwards*. A software firewall - which knows which
programs are allowed to access the internet and alerts you if any strange
ones try to do so - is a good idea in addition to the router's firewall. I
use ZoneAlarm for this. Don't know what Sygate PF does - is that similar?

Also how do I show the connection speed as I could with my internal
PCI ADSL modem ?

You must have some way of accessing the router to be able to configure it -
maybe by pointing your browser at its IP address? When you do this, you
should be able to display the current connection status.

[If you're using a wireless router, make sure you use all the security
features - to stop the world and his dog from hacking into your network -
including:
* using the highest level of encryption supported by all your kit
* implementing MAC address filtering
* turning off SSID broadcasting]
--
Cheers,