will Netgear 602 ADSL modem router network laptop and PC?

Old July 22nd 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Aquazur-Dra

Default will Netgear 602 ADSL modem router network laptop and PC?

Does this modem allow you to

1) Connect laptop via USB to ADSL and Share Ethernet connection [ on
laptop ] with another PC ?

2) act as a modem / router USB laptop - Ethernet connection on Router to
share connection to second PC ?

Thanks

--
€º°`°º€ø,,,,ø€º°`°º€ø,,,,ø€º°`°º€ø,,,,ø€º°`°º€ø
compliments Dave Armes

Old July 23rd 04, 01:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

In theory yes. In practice it may not be so easy. Mine didn't work, not even
the USB software would load on Win98 laptop, then wouldn't uninstall.
Support is in India and Ahmed will read you the lousy 'installation guide'
that you get anyway.
I just returned it. Will not touch another Netgear ever.
Get Zoom X4 instead.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 23rd 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Wilkins

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:37:04 +0100, "Aquazur-Dra"
wrote :

Does this modem allow you to

1) Connect laptop via USB to ADSL and Share Ethernet connection [ on
laptop ] with another PC ?

Not sure what you mean. You can connect the laptop to the modem via
USB or ethernet, but if you connect your laptop to the modem via USB
then your modem isn't involved in what you do with the laptop's
ethernet, and I don't think it will share the ADSL unless perhaps you
set up some sort of bridge. But you don't need to do it that way -
see next para.

2) act as a modem / router USB laptop - Ethernet connection on Router to
share connection to second PC ?

Yes. The config I have is the USB line connects to my desktop PC
which doesn't have a LAN card. The ethernet line from the modem can
connect to the ethernet port on my laptop, and that works to share the
ADSL line between the desktop and laptop computers.

But I actually connect the modem ethernet port to a Netgear MR814
wireless router. My laptop can then connect to the MR814 either via
ethernet cable at 100MB or via wireless at 11MB, or both. If I have
the laptop connected to both, it defaults to the ethernet and
automatically switches to wireless if I unplug the ethernet cable.
Very convenient.

We have 3 laptops in the house and they all work together sharing the
ADSL via the Wireless network.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Old July 23rd 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Wilkins

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:59:07 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote :

In article , "Aquazur-Dra"
says...

snip
2) act as a modem / router USB laptop - Ethernet connection on Router to
share connection to second PC ?

No - you can use either USB or ethernet, not both.

Actually, you can use both simultaneously - I'm doing it right now.
(see my other post in this thread)
ie the USB port to my desktop and the ethernet port to my laptop.

I would normally only use the ethernet as it is faster, but my desktop
PC doesn't have a network card.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Old July 23rd 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:37:04 +0100, "Aquazur-Dra"
strung together this:

Does this modem allow you to

1) Connect laptop via USB to ADSL and Share Ethernet connection [ on
laptop ] with another PC ?

Yes, I think you'd be wanting to use internet connection sharing,
supplied with some versions of windows. If you haven't got ICS then
other versions are available from the interweb.

2) act as a modem / router USB laptop - Ethernet connection on Router to
share connection to second PC ?

Yes, apparently, although I've never tried it.
I've got my DM602s ethernet connection going into a hub then off to
various machines around the house so everything is on ethernet. That
way it's a lot easier to setup for both options in that there's no
drivers etc.. to load on the laptop and no ICS to setup (which would
be a nightmare as Windows ICS is a bit rubbish really).
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 25th 04, 07:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

's no
drivers etc.. to load on the laptop and no ICS to setup (which would
be a nightmare as Windows ICS is a bit rubbish really).

Only a bit ?

Dave