What is a Firewall

Old July 22nd 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default What is a Firewall

I am a novice.
I have a firewall router.
In plain English, what is a "firewall."? What does it do to what?
Thank you.
Reg.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Reg Edwards wrote:
I am a novice.
I have a firewall router.
In plain English, what is a "firewall."? What does it do to what?
Thank you.
Reg.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...+a+firewall%22

Dominic

Old July 22nd 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Dominic" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:
I am a novice.
I have a firewall router.
In plain English, what is a "firewall."? What does it do to what?
Thank you.
Reg.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...+a+firewall%22

Dominic

It's a wall of fire that surrounds your house when we all come down to burn
you for being stupid!

Google it!!

Old July 22nd 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Woody wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:
I am a novice.
I have a firewall router.
In plain English, what is a "firewall."? What does it do to what?
Thank you.
Reg.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...+a+firewall%22

It's a wall of fire that surrounds your house when we all come down
to burn you for being stupid!

Google it!!

Don't tell me that, tell the OP.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:44:36 +0100, "Woody" strung
together this:

It's a wall of fire that surrounds your house when we all come down to burn
you for being stupid!

As I was repremanded for doing this the other day I feel it is only
proper to do the same to you.
Post in response to the correct posts. You have replied to Dominic,
who isn't actually the person you wanted to direct your reply at, it
would have been mildly better if you had trimmed the unneccesary
comments from the post.
Now go and hang your head in shame.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 22nd 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Lurch wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:44:36 +0100, "Woody" strung
together this:

It's a wall of fire that surrounds your house when we all come down
to burn you for being stupid!

As I was repremanded for doing this the other day I feel it is only
proper to do the same to you.
Post in response to the correct posts. You have replied to Dominic,
who isn't actually the person you wanted to direct your reply at, it
would have been mildly better if you had trimmed the unneccesary
comments from the post.
Now go and hang your head in shame.

Aww thanks (I'm assuming it was me who told you)

Dom

Old July 22nd 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:58:58 +0100, "Dominic"
strung together this:

(I'm assuming it was me who told you)

I can't remember who told me, I was too busy crying to notice. :-(
ISTR it was more than one person!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 22nd 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

A Firewall, when enabled in your customers network, is the device that will
GUARANTEE you a follow up chargeable support callout when the end user can't
get his newly acquired remote desktop ap. to work.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 22nd 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Reg Edwards on 22/Jul/2004 20:14:
I am a novice.
I have a firewall router.
In plain English, what is a "firewall."? What does it do to what?
Thank you.
Reg.

As no one else has been polite enough to give you a decent answer, let me try.

A firewall is a device that puts a "wall" around a computer network in an
attempt to control the entry and exit of information.

There are two general types.

The "Edge of network" type is usually a dedicated bit of hardware that sits
between your network and the rest of the world. You might have one of these
built-in to your router if you have an ADSL connection.

A "Personal Firewall" is a newer type that runs on your personal computer. As
well as providing the normal firewall facilities (useful for dial-up networking)
it is also able to know which applications on your computer are trying to
communicate. This allows you see if there are unauthorised applications running
that are trying to "phone home".

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old July 22nd 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Julian Knight wrote:
From Reg Edwards on 22/Jul/2004 20:14:
I am a novice.
I have a firewall router.
In plain English, what is a "firewall."? What does it do to what?
Thank you.
Reg.

As no one else has been polite enough to give you a decent answer,
let me try.

I have to disagree with this. My response was one-click away from a perfect
description, along with 8500 or so others should it not be exactly what the
poster wanted.

Dominic