ADSL ISP Recommendations?

Old July 22nd 04, 10:06 PM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Netizen

Default ADSL ISP Recommendations?

Hello all,

We're looking for an inexpensive, basic 512K/256K ADSL connection via an
ISP for a small company. We have our own router, firewall etc. Prefer
fixed IP address. We have done some preliminary research, and come up
with a list of reasonably priced ISPs with decent reputations.

What I'd like to ask is: do you have experience of any of the ISPs
listed below? If so, how would you rate their service in terms of
reliability, tech support, customer service?

edNET

Easynet

Nildram

clara.net

Or suggest an alternative ISP if you like...

(P.S: - We used to be with Demon but their customer service has
deteriorated so much over the last few years we don't wish to go back to
them)

Old July 22nd 04, 10:29 PM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Brown

"Netizen" wrote in message
Hello all,

We're looking for an inexpensive, basic 512K/256K ADSL connection via an
ISP for a small company. We have our own router, firewall etc. Prefer
fixed IP address. We have done some preliminary research, and come up
with a list of reasonably priced ISPs with decent reputations.

What I'd like to ask is: do you have experience of any of the ISPs
listed below? If so, how would you rate their service in terms of
reliability, tech support, customer service?

I can heartily recomend plus.net. I've been with them for two and a half
years on broadband.

Have a look at their service status page and then press the "Customer
Support Statistics " link. you can see a live report of how many people are
waiting in the queue. I have to say I very rarely phone them. the connection
seems to go on forever.

They have their own usenet group too that Support Staff answer questions on.

If you decide to go with them use " awbrown " as the referal person.

alan

Old July 22nd 04, 10:34 PM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I can heartily recomend plus.net. I've been with them for two and a
half years on broadband.

I second that. Now ISP is perfect but Plus are better than most.

Old July 22nd 04, 11:16 PM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Netizen" wrote in message

We're looking for an inexpensive, basic 512K/256K ADSL connection via
an ISP for a small company. We have our own router, firewall etc.
Prefer fixed IP address. We have done some preliminary research, and
come up with a list of reasonably priced ISPs with decent reputations.

Which part of the country are you in?

Or suggest an alternative ISP if you like...

As well as your list have a look at:

Zen
Plusnet
http://www.hi-velocity.it/
Bulldog
A&A

It may also be worth you looking at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ - including
the forums

Regards
Sunil

Old July 22nd 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

"Peter Crosland" wrote:

I can heartily recomend plus.net. I've been with them for two and a
half years on broadband.

I second that. Now ISP is perfect but Plus are better than most.

Hi

Are you the Peter Crossland from Osgodby?

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old July 23rd 04, 12:40 AM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
David Hansen

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:13:29 +0100 someone who may be Hilary
wrote this:-

I've been happy with edNet. [snip]
Their customer service has been good when I've needed it, and they are
definitely more techie than, say, Demon. They also didn't sound surprised
or say phrases like "What's a traceroute?" or "No, 40% packet loss is
normal" like Blueyonder did In short, good service, quick and
knowledgeable replies, and they're not scared of users who know a bit
about computers.

Seconded. They are not the cheapest, but I consider the extra well
worth it. For a business some of their competitors are a false
economy, one of their competitors screwed up e-mail for days
recently as they were incapable of managing a move from one server
to another properly.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old July 23rd 04, 12:42 AM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme

Hilary wrote in
:

I've been happy with edNet.

I used edNet when I was in Edinburgh. They provided excellent service and
I'd be more than happy to use them again if I returned.

Graeme
Old July 23rd 04, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Are you the Peter Crossland from Osgodby?

No, whatever it might be, it is not me. I do know how to spell my own name!