Centre Point vs. ProdigyNet, and others?

Old July 22nd 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Robinson

Default Centre Point vs. ProdigyNet, and others?

I'm moving to a new flat next week and I'm looking for a new adsl ISP.
Basically I want 512/256 with unlimited transfer. I don't care about
email, webspace, etc, but I want something thats reliable. I'm quite
good on the technical side so I don't think I'll be using the support
phone lines much, except to moan if the adsl goes down. I would like
a monthly contract that I can cancel out of when I move.

Plusnet has been good for me but is too expensive now (21.99 a month +
70 quid connection for unlimited bandwidth and monthly contract).

I'm looking at a couple, Centre Point Broadband look quite good at 25
quid connection and 18.99 a month. The opportunity to change to 1 meg
after a few months for 25.99 a month and a one off fee of 20 quid for
the upgrade is also attractive. I've heard that CPBB have a long lead
time (20 days plus) for installs, which puts me off quite a lot, but
maybe this is only for 2 meg lines which need Telefonica to install
equipment in the exchange...

ProdigyNet look alright as well, 20.49 a month and 50 quid connection.
According to adslguide their lead time is only 3-4 days, which sounds
better.

Am I leaving out any other cheap options? I'm not interested in
capped stuff like Wanadoo, as I do a lot of data transfer.

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond
Old July 22nd 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

Tom Robinson wrote:

ProdigyNet look alright as well, 20.49 a month and 50 quid connection.
According to adslguide their lead time is only 3-4 days, which sounds
better.

I'm using Prodigy at the moment for 512k (all I can get here though I am near the dB
limit for 1 mb)

Service is excellent, likewise support and response from them if you get a problem.
I've had one or two minor issues, and they have phoned me back without fail and
resolved these. Not 24/7 on support etc, but normal office hours, though if there is
a problem you've only got to wait until the morning.

Generally I'm very happy. (My user name is 'fallendell' in case you think I work for
them or something).

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old July 22nd 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tom Robinson" wrote in message

I've heard that CPBB have a long lead
time (20 days plus) for installs, which puts me off quite a lot, but
maybe this is only for 2 meg lines which need Telefonica to install
equipment in the exchange...

It would be the same at all exchanges.

ProdigyNet look alright as well, 20.49 a month and 50 quid connection.
According to adslguide their lead time is only 3-4 days, which sounds
better.

Am I leaving out any other cheap options?

Bulldog are currently doing their 512K product for 20/month (with 1 month
free) and 1 for connection.

It is a 12 month contract though - unless you pay 30 extra for a shorter
contract.

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/alltime/index.asp

If you do decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code when
signing up - just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did
you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or by telephone.

Also have a look at http://www.hi-velocity.it/ - they have very good
customer service..

Finally, take a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for any I may have
missed

Regards
Sunil

Old July 23rd 04, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Robinson

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:25:05 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"Tom Robinson" wrote in message

I've heard that CPBB have a long lead
time (20 days plus) for installs, which puts me off quite a lot, but
maybe this is only for 2 meg lines which need Telefonica to install
equipment in the exchange...

It would be the same at all exchanges.

Yeah, I was wondering if it might only apply to the 2 meg service via
Telefonica and not the normal BT-provided 512k service.

ProdigyNet look alright as well, 20.49 a month and 50 quid connection.
According to adslguide their lead time is only 3-4 days, which sounds
better.

Am I leaving out any other cheap options?

Bulldog are currently doing their 512K product for 20/month (with 1 month
free) and 1 for connection.

Are you sure? I looked at their website you gave below and it looks
like the connection fee for 512k is 50 (but it is 1 for the 1meg and
2meg options).

It is a 12 month contract though - unless you pay 30 extra for a shorter
contract.

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/alltime/index.asp

If you do decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code when
signing up - just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did
you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or by telephone.

Also have a look at http://www.hi-velocity.it/ - they have very good
customer service..

Finally, take a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for any I may have
missed

Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I am leaning towards
ProdigyNet as they are supposed to have a short lead-time compared to
CPBB, and I'm not too keen on waiting a month to get connected!

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond
Old July 23rd 04, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tom Robinson" wrote in message

Are you sure? I looked at their website you gave below and it looks
like the connection fee for 512k is 50 (but it is 1 for the 1meg and
2meg options).

Ah - sorry.. you're right :/

Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I am leaning towards
ProdigyNet as they are supposed to have a short lead-time compared to
CPBB, and I'm not too keen on waiting a month to get connected!

Have to admit I don't know much about ProdigyNet.. they are either very new
or have kept a very low profile until now...

Regards
Sunil

Old July 23rd 04, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Robinson

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:02:42 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"Tom Robinson" wrote in message

Are you sure? I looked at their website you gave below and it looks
like the connection fee for 512k is 50 (but it is 1 for the 1meg and
2meg options).

Ah - sorry.. you're right :/

Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I am leaning towards
ProdigyNet as they are supposed to have a short lead-time compared to
CPBB, and I'm not too keen on waiting a month to get connected!

Have to admit I don't know much about ProdigyNet.. they are either very new
or have kept a very low profile until now...

The attractive thing about CPBB is that their 1 meg service is only
25.99 a month, and I might want to upgrade to 1 meg in a few months
time. However, I could just go for ProdigyNet for now, and then take
advantage of the CPBB 99p + 1 month free migration offer in a few
months time.

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond
Old July 23rd 04, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Robinson

wrote:

"Tom Robinson" wrote in message
Are you sure? I looked at their website you gave below and it looks
like the connection fee for 512k is 50 (but it is 1 for the 1meg and
2meg options).

Ah - sorry.. you're right :/

Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I am leaning towards
ProdigyNet as they are supposed to have a short lead-time compared to
CPBB, and I'm not too keen on waiting a month to get connected!

Have to admit I don't know much about ProdigyNet.. they are either very new
or have kept a very low profile until now...

The attractive thing about CPBB is that their 1 meg service is only
25.99 a month, and I might want to upgrade to 1 meg in a few months
time. However, I could just go for ProdigyNet for now, and then take
advantage of the CPBB 99p + 1 month free migration offer in a few
months time.

Actually, Bulldog will still be cheaper than Prodigy because of the
first month free, so the connection is effectively 30 as opposed to
Prodigy's 50. Or I could have 1 meg with them for 6 months for the
same price:

Bulldog 512:
50 connection + 1 month free + 5 months @ 20 = 150
Bulldog 1024:
1 connection + 3 months @ 20 + 3 months @ 30 = 151

And then look at it again, and possibly migrate to cpbb for 99p plus a
free month! I reckon that's a pretty damn good deal actually. So you
may be getting your referral money after all.

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond
Old July 23rd 04, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Robinson

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:24:48 +0100, Tom Robinson
wrote:

Actually, Bulldog will still be cheaper than Prodigy because of the
first month free, so the connection is effectively 30 as opposed to
Prodigy's 50. Or I could have 1 meg with them for 6 months for the
same price:

Bulldog 512:
50 connection + 1 month free + 5 months @ 20 = 150
Bulldog 1024:
1 connection + 3 months @ 20 + 3 months @ 30 = 151

And then look at it again, and possibly migrate to cpbb for 99p plus a
free month! I reckon that's a pretty damn good deal actually. So you
may be getting your referral money after all.

Argh, but just realised you have to sign up for 12 months on Bulldog,
otherwise it's a one-off extra charge of 50. Damn!

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond
Old July 23rd 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

[...]

Theres a forum for CPBB,
www.cpbbforum.com, have a look in there