DSL vs Cable

Old July 23rd 04, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fitzy_bhoy

Default DSL vs Cable

I am moving house in a few months and have the choice of DSL or Cable.

I am currently 6 months into a 12 month contract with Pipex. The internet is
fine but their news servers are erratic. I use Grabit for binaries with 4
channels open and the connection only sits a 20-30k. I realise this could be
the contention but it is like this most of the time.

I have used BY cable, although the house is NTL and found this to be less
erratic. Could anyone who has used both give me some pointers.

Also, I went to the NTL website and priced my internet, full TV package and
the £14.50 phone line + extras. This came in at a whopping £93 per month.
But a friend in work tells me he has the same and he is sure that if you
take the full tv package at £40 then this includes line rental. Is this the
case??

Thanks
John

Old July 23rd 04, 05:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
[...]

Even the Bae Pack at £9.50 per month is inclusive of line rental.
Old July 23rd 04, 05:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Even the Bae Pack at £9.50 per month is inclusive of line rental.

Having now looked at their tariff sheet I'm not sure.
Old July 23rd 04, 06:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Fitzy_bhoy" wrote in message
I am moving house in a few months and have the choice of

DSL or Cable.

I am currently 6 months into a 12 month contract with

Pipex. The internet is
fine but their news servers are erratic. I use Grabit for

binaries with 4
channels open and the connection only sits a 20-30k. I

realise this could be
the contention but it is like this most of the time.

Would strongly recommend you factor in a subscription to a
premium news service if you are considering NTL, their
binaries are, to say the least, less than good ;-)
They do seem to have odd problems around the UK, though I've
been with them for 15 months without serious problem (except
for when a lightning strike took out South Manchester, but
then we lost tv and fone )
They are due to upgrade the speeds they offer over the next
few months, 1mb is going upto 1.5, 600k to 750K, without
extra charge (though they've just put their prices up)

P.

Old July 23rd 04, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
catherine

"Fitzy_bhoy" wrote in message
I am moving house in a few months and have the choice of DSL or Cable.

I am currently 6 months into a 12 month contract with Pipex. The internet is
fine but their news servers are erratic. I use Grabit for binaries with 4
channels open and the connection only sits a 20-30k. I realise this could be
the contention but it is like this most of the time.

I have used BY cable, although the house is NTL and found this to be less
erratic. Could anyone who has used both give me some pointers.

Also, I went to the NTL website and priced my internet, full TV package and
the £14.50 phone line + extras. This came in at a whopping £93 per month.
But a friend in work tells me he has the same and he is sure that if you
take the full tv package at £40 then this includes line rental. Is this the
case??

The full digital tv pack including basic phone line is £49.50

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/familypack

phone line £9.50 (required)
family pack £19.50
sky sports & movies £20.50

But the current broadband offer is for free install, free modem,
and a 60 day free trial (all speeds)

Alternatively, you can get a free Xbox package, but have to
pay £50 install & you'd also lose the free 60 day trial.
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/xboxoffer

---

Old July 23rd 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
I am moving house in a few months and have the choice of DSL or
Cable.

I am currently 6 months into a 12 month contract with Pipex. The
internet is fine but their news servers are erratic. I use Grabit
for binaries with 4 channels open and the connection only sits a
20-30k. I realise this could be the contention but it is like this
most of the time.

If you're after a good news service then _DON'T_ go with NTL.

Old July 23rd 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

"Fitzy_bhoy" wrote in message

[...]

They have changed the way the prices work now. A few months ago all prices
included the telephone line rental but that is not the case anymore.

Dave quoted "Even the Base Pack at £9.50 per month is inclusive of line
rental." This is not true, you need to add a further £9.50 to each pack for
the telephone line.

Also it appears that you have to order a telephone line before the TV pack
which is annoying if you don't require their telephone service.

A moved from NTL a few months back and their news servers were non existent,
so I would be careful if your joining to get a good service.

I have to hold my hands up though and say NTL's TV and Cable Broadband is
certainly more stable than ADSL and SKY. My picture on SKY is terrible in
bad weather and I find the ADSL cuts out but not often.

Old July 23rd 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keef

"Fitzy_bhoy" wrote in message
I have used BY cable, although the house is NTL and found this to be less
erratic. Could anyone who has used both give me some pointers.

I was with NTL and have now switched to Pipex.

NTL is great if nothing goes wrong, but due to poor/not existant admin as
soon as their is a problem you have to spend ages communicating with
machines/robots, auto-texts etc. They do seem to sort things out in the end
though, but usually takes loads of threats and months of "pain" :-(

Pipex has been fine so far, a few minor outages, but usually cured in an
hour or two. No experience of their admin yet.

HTH - Keef
--
Dartford Kent UK
Email

Old July 23rd 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ted_radioham

Well I have tried both and find NTL to have been the best to date, although
had first major loss of service tis week, you DO NOT need to have MTL phone
if you just want the cable broadband, so you could keep you bt line, however
if you subscribe to the tv from the base package up your phone line is
inclusive although costing it to sky and a bt line it is much the same
prive. I pay £29 got the family package and £24.99 for 600k which will be
increased to 700k soon.

Regards.

Old July 23rd 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Fitzy_bhoy" wrote in
:

I am currently 6 months into a 12 month contract with Pipex. The
internet is fine but their news servers are erratic. I use Grabit for
binaries with 4 channels open and the connection only sits a 20-30k. I
realise this could be the contention but it is like this most of the
time.

NTL's news service is pants.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/