ADSL disconnects when the phone rings...

Old July 23rd 04, 04:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

Default ADSL disconnects when the phone rings...

I have a customer with a quirky ADSL connection. He has a phone socket
(presumably the master socket) in the living room and an extension
cable (which he wired himself a few years ago with a DIY kit from
Homebase or somewhere) in his office.

This has been a trouble-free arrangement for some time, however in the
last couple of months he has got ADSL. He has splitters on all occupied
telephone sockets in the house - I believe there's a third one in the
kitchen, or somewhere - but when the ADSL router is connected to the
socket in the office it disconnects any time the phone rings. When
connected to the socket in the living room the ADSL connection behaves
fine.

When I tested the ADSL router reconnected automagically as soon as I
hung up (I don't know whether the disconnect is just for the duration
of the phone ringing, or for the duration of the call - I didn't think
to check at the time) but this is still quite an annoyance as the
customer as he uses a VPN into his office & needs to manually reconnect
it every time the phone rings.

I have some recollection that only 2 of the 4 cables on a telephone
cable are used, or that 2 are used for voice & 2 for the ringer, and it
seems likely that the extension may have a crossed wire.

Telephone wiring really is not something I'm experienced with, so if
anyone could explain in very simple terms or point me at a very simple
resource I would be extremely indebted. All the websites I could find
on "BT telephone wiring" had diagrams showing resistors & stuff,
whereas what I'd really prefer is something along the lines of "connect
A to B".

Many thanks in advance for all advices,

Stroller.

Old July 23rd 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:58:03 +0100, Stroller wrote:

[...]

The first thing I would check is what type of wire is used for the DIY
extention. ADSL does not like working over braided cable, it needs single
core copper wire.

The telephone wiring in the phone sockets should be wired pin to pin
identical at each socket. Ie pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to
pin 3 and so on. You only need two wires for the phones to work, pins
3 and 4. but for the ringing to work correctly pins 2 and 5 should be
wired also. pins 1 and 6 are not required, but may be wired.

Hope this helps, graham

Old July 23rd 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Graham wrote:

The telephone wiring in the phone sockets should be wired pin to pin
identical at each socket. Ie pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to
pin 3 and so on. You only need two wires for the phones to work, pins
3 and 4. but for the ringing to work correctly pins 2 and 5 should be
wired also. pins 1 and 6 are not required, but may be wired.

Hope this helps, graham

I'm afraid this doesn't help - because it contains *wrong* information!

The main phone signal is carried on pins 2 and 5. These must be wired pin to
pin (i.e. 2 - 2, 5 - 5 between master and extension using a *single* twisted
pair. [A pair is designated by using the same wire colours - e.g. blue with
white marker/white with blue marker]

For ringing to work on most (but not all) phones, pin 3 must also be
connected - using any available wire from one of the other pairs.

This is all explained, with pictures, at
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 23rd 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham UK

I'm afraid this doesn't help - because it contains *wrong* information!

The main phone signal is carried on pins 2 and 5. These must be wired pin

pin (i.e. 2 - 2, 5 - 5 between master and extension using a *single*

twisted
pair. [A pair is designated by using the same wire colours - e.g. blue

with
white marker/white with blue marker]

For ringing to work on most (but not all) phones, pin 3 must also be
connected - using any available wire from one of the other pairs.

Yes, my name-sake does have his wires crossed.
Mind you, if I posted a reply at that time in the morning I might have got
it wrong too.

Also its worth mentioning that asdl filters contain their own ringer
coupling capacitor, and people have been surprised that a phone that did not
ring when connected directly to an extension socket suddenly rings normally
when a filter is added.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 23rd 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Graham wrote:

[...]

Also make sure that all extensions are indeed extensions sockets as this has
been known to cause problems such as the original poster describes....

The last customer I visited with this problem had 6 sockets (fitted by the
jobing electrician when they had their house renovated) all masters & it was
doing exactly what is described, disconnect extensions every thing
alright...