4.7KM from exchange but can not get Broadband

Old July 23rd 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Penman

Default 4.7KM from exchange but can not get Broadband

I have a very frustrating situation, when I first moved into my house
I had some issues with the phone line and had a very helpful engineer
who I got talking to about broadband. He ran some checks for me and
advised me that I was 4.71Km from the exchange, however every time I
attempt to get broadband I am told that I am too far from the
exchange. One ISP I tried with was very helpflu and advised me that it
was the fact the the noise on my line is very slightly too high
(.5Db), BT do not admit to there being anything wrong and there is
nobody in BT that is even willing to talk about the problem being
anything other than a distance problem and they dismiss the fact that
an engineer has told me the distance.

Any ideas what I can do ?

Thanks

Colin
Old July 23rd 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

The distance is only a guideline - its the line loss and noise that matter.

BT (the people who provide your phone) are 100% correct in saying there is
nothing wrong - as a telephone service provider they are providing just
that.

However, BT have absolutely no obligation to make any lines suitable for DSL
- their USO (universal service obligation) is purely for voice. So unless
the line actually fails to make telephone calls, you have no comeback at
all.

Join the queue of people who are in the situation - but I guess BT will sort
it one day, once they have spent all the money getting exchanges equipped
to serve 100's/1000's of people, rather than spending £000's sorting out
noise on a single cable.

You're not on your own here, but you are in a very small minority and so not
at the top of the priority list for BT.

On 23/7/04 3:31 pm, in article
, "Colin Penman"

Old July 23rd 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Colin Penman" wrote in message
I have a very frustrating situation, when I first moved into my house
I had some issues with the phone line and had a very helpful engineer
who I got talking to about broadband. He ran some checks for me and
advised me that I was 4.71Km from the exchange, however every time I
attempt to get broadband I am told that I am too far from the
exchange. One ISP I tried with was very helpflu and advised me that it
was the fact the the noise on my line is very slightly too high
(.5Db), BT do not admit to there being anything wrong and there is
nobody in BT that is even willing to talk about the problem being
anything other than a distance problem and they dismiss the fact that
an engineer has told me the distance.

Any ideas what I can do ?

Wait a few months and then you should be able to get 512K ADSL.

Its the quality of the line - not the distance of the line that is the
determining factor in whether you get ADSL.

If the "voice" part of the line is working fine, then BT are not obliged to
do anything to get ADSL to work.

However, BT are currently trialling an extension to the ADSL line limits in
3 areas (for the 512K service) and its due to finish at the end of
September.

Assuming BT encounter no unexpected issues - the revised limits would
probably go into effect nationally almost immediately and if you are only
0.5dB from the current limit, you will qualify easily.

Some details are at:

http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressrelea...004/nr0416.htm -
which is the original announcement from April 2004

In June 2004, BT then said:

"BT also announced that the initial results from trials to extend the reach
of broadband beyond its current limit (roughly 6km) were looking very
promising. BT is confident it will find a way over the summer to extend the
reach of broadband ADSL services to over a million more homes and businesses
throughout the UK."
(from
http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressrelea...004/nr0454.htm)

One of the trial areas is Milton Keynes(the other 2 are in Scotland
somewhere) and there is some other information at:

http://www.bb4mk.org/bttrial/
http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm
http://www.bb4mk.org/0407w2.htm

from the local broadband campaign group.

Regards
Sunil

Old July 24th 04, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

The distance is actually irrelevent.

The issue is the loss (dB) value on your line which is affected by many
factors including the line type, it's age and general condition.

If you have a poor or marginal line which is over the threshold for the
service you have requested, then you cannot recieve ADSL

The Extended Reach trials are now underway, with some luck when this goes
national, perhaps your line will then be suitable for ADSL.

Regards
--

m...

Old July 24th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
News Reader

[...]

You could always order a new voice line (no dacs though) ,apply for ADSL on
your new line Then cancel your first line

Old July 24th 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

News Reader wrote:
[...]

May not work as most of the local loop will be the same as for the first
line...

Old July 25th 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Sunil Sood
writes
One of the trial areas is Milton Keynes(the other 2 are in Scotland
somewhere

(splutters at south-eastern arrogance)

well actually Fort William and Dingwall (see www.samknows.com for 9th
June) - places even I've heard of
Bob
(and I was born only just north of the Trent!)

--
robert w hall

Old July 26th 04, 04:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, robert w hall wrote:

(splutters at south-eastern arrogance)

You think there's none north of the border, then ? Anyway, the simple fact
is that MK is well known, but perhaps for all the wrong reasons... isn't it
the place they decided to launch easyCinema... Yes, MK is *that* important
("it'll never take off" - was that easyCinema or one of their jets ??? :-))

(It seems the only easyxxxxx.com they haven't managed to obtain is that of
easybus.com - they have easybus.co.uk for their planned budget service but
easybus.com has been taken for some time by an US firm selling timetabling
solutions for school transport firms. easybus UK goes to MK, of course :-)

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension
Old July 26th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nathan Whitington

Distance is indeed irelivant. There are several factors that can
affect your ability to use ADSL on your phone line. Particularly in
rural areas your telephone line will have loading coils. These are use
after a few miles to compensate for any cappacitance in a cable pair.
These coils limit the bandwidth of the line.

Although you may live so many miles from an exchange, you can't really
determine the route your internet or phone line takes to the exchange
from looking at a map.