ADSL only works when phone is in use?

Old July 23rd 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ten

Default ADSL only works when phone is in use?

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help with this problem my friend is experiencing.

She has recently upgraded from Wanadoo dial-up to ADSL. The ADSL was due to
go live last week. She is using the silver Speedtouch USB modem (not sure
what model #), and her PC is Win98 (I think SE). She only has the one phone
socket in the house and the micro-filter is connected directly to that. Her
phone is connected to the phone outlet on the micro-filter, and the modem is
connected to the modem outlet. Pretty straightforward so far huh?!

The problem is this - when the computer is on the speedtouch's ADSL light
keeps flashing green which, according to the instructions, indicates no sync
with the ADSL service.

When you make a phone call (not just lifting the receiver off the hook) the
ADSL light shows steady and you can connect via DUN as you would normally
do. When you end the phone call the connection drops and the modems ADSL
light starts flashing again.

I have tried the re-installing the Speedtouch, using the 2nd micro-filter,
using a different phone and connecting the modem directly to the phone
socket. Still get the same end result.

Wanadoo's helpdesk keeps repeating from the same script - do you have any
other extensions with phones on them, do you have Sky TV etc etc.

When I convinced them that there is only one socket, and one phone being
used then they said it must be a fault with BT and said they would arrange
for BT to visit. Of course there was no sign of BT and when my friend
contacted Wanadoo they made her do all the tests yet again and said they
would get BT to come out.

Anyone know where the problem might be? I have tried a few searches on this
problem and have so far yielded zip.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Trevor

Old July 23rd 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

Interesting one this, the opposite if what usually happens.
Now then, when you say
"When you make a phone call (not just lifting the receiver off the hook)"
do you mean that incoming calls (when answered) to not restore sync?
Also at exactly what point in the outgoing call is sync restored? During
dialling? After dialling? When the called party answers?

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 23rd 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ten

Thanks for the reply Graham.

Interesting one this, the opposite if what usually happens.
Now then, when you say
"When you make a phone call (not just lifting the receiver off the hook)"
do you mean that incoming calls (when answered) to not restore sync?

Haven't tested incoming calls. Worth a try if Wanadoo still haven't got
their act together and got BT on the case by the time I get back to work on
Monday.

Also at exactly what point in the outgoing call is sync restored? During
dialling? After dialling? When the called party answers?

I believe it is when the other party answers and remains connected. I did
lift the receiver and dial a few digits but that didn't make the modem sync
up.

Thanks.

Trevor

Old July 23rd 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Ten" none wrote in message
Thanks for the reply Graham.

[...]

Hmm cant help thinking that this is a bit of a red herring and you haven't
had the phone off- hook long enough for the phone to sync.

Can you borrow another modem (and its driver) off a mate? That's the first
thing I would want to eliminate
Other than that just keep on pestering your ISP to get BT to investigate,
maybe change your DSLM card and check your line is correctly wired to it and
nor working 'one legged'

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 23rd 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:00:43 +0100, "Ten" none wrote:

I believe it is when the other party answers and remains connected. I did
lift the receiver and dial a few digits but that didn't make the modem sync
up.

Sounds like a dodgy cable - short-circuit between the ringer and voice
lines maybe? Try unplugging absolutely everything including all
extension cords (check for hidden ones under the carpet?), and plug
the modem directly into the main socket without a filter (you don't
need a filter unless there's non-ADSL kit attached to the same line).

If it still doesn't work then you need BT to check their side of the
socket. Otherwise its your side, so work by process of elimination.
Old July 23rd 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ten

Sounds like a dodgy cable - short-circuit between the ringer and voice
lines maybe? Try unplugging absolutely everything including all
extension cords (check for hidden ones under the carpet?), and plug
the modem directly into the main socket without a filter (you don't
need a filter unless there's non-ADSL kit attached to the same line).

Done all that - there is only one socket in the house (so I am told), and
that is the one the filter is plugged into. I'm guessing it must be BT's
side at fault.

If it still doesn't work then you need BT to check their side of the
socket. Otherwise its your side, so work by process of elimination.

Thanks for your reply.

Old July 23rd 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ten

Hmm cant help thinking that this is a bit of a red herring and you haven't
had the phone off- hook long enough for the phone to sync.

I've taken the phone off the hook a few times and waited for a few minutes -
zilch. Everytime I have dialled a call out, the modem has sync'd up in
about 10-20 seconds of the other party answering.

Can you borrow another modem (and its driver) off a mate? That's the first
thing I would want to eliminate
Other than that just keep on pestering your ISP to get BT to investigate,
maybe change your DSLM card and check your line is correctly wired to it

and
nor working 'one legged'

Could you explain the 'one legged' expression please? A bad return feed?

Thanks again.

Trevor

--
Graham.

Old July 24th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Could you explain the 'one legged' expression please? A bad return feed?

Thanks again

OK

As you know BT's service is delivered to you on a pair of copper wires. We
know there is nothing wrong with them because the POTS (Plain Ordinary
Telephone Service) seems to be OK.

Now, to provide you with ADSL thay (BT) connect an additional pair of wires
to your pair on the Main Distribution Frame in the exchange, to a card in an
equipment bay called a DSLAM.
This if you like is the modem that talks to your modem.
But unlike an ordinary modem that uses audio frequencies, this set-up uses
radio frequencies.

Now it is not unheard of for the system to work with only ONE wire connected
from the frame to the DSLAM and it is just possible that this has happened
in your case.

If so I would expect it would be very susceptible to interference and, for
some reason, it might prefer to work better with a low impedance connection
to the 'dead' wire (as far as ADSL is concerned) ie. Phone offhook.
RF just doesn't behave like DC or 50Hz AC it can be unpredictable in real
world situations

As I say, its just a possibility
When you find out the real cause please post it. I would be most intrested.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 24th 11, 04:36 PM
MarkWR MarkWR is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

[...]

I am experiencing exactly the same problem: an ADSL link is only established when a telephone call is in progress. As soon as the telephone call ends the ADSL link fails within about 10 seconds.

I have replaced the micro filter without any change.

The Cisco modem\router help desk was less than helpful ..... asking in 4 different ways what the problem was ... even though it was fully explained each time .... but they were earning revenue by the minute for the call! No solution was offered other than contact your ISP!

My ISP helpdesk understood the issue straight away but suggested I use 2 micro filters in series! .... I do not quite understand that but still tried it and it did not work.

Any ideas what the issue is and how to solve it?

regards,

Mark
Old September 24th 11, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

I am experiencing exactly the same problem: an ADSL link is only
established when a telephone call is in progress. As soon as the
telephone call ends the ADSL link fails within about 10 seconds.

I have replaced the micro filter without any change.

But is the phone (and any or all extensions)actually PLUGGED IN to the
filter..

Strip down to master socket only, take all phones out and plug known
working router straight in.

If that doesn't work, call your ISP.