Are Wannadoo OK

Old July 24th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

Default Are Wannadoo OK

Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware of?

They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

Thanks,
Rick

Old July 24th 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"R D S" wrote in message

Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware
of?

The monthly download limit...

Regards
Sunil

Old July 24th 04, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

R D S wrote:
Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware
of?

They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

Don't forget that has a 12 month contract and a monthly download limit of
2GB

You'll probably hear mostly bad things on this newsgroup about them; have a
look on www.net4nowt.com for more balanced views. Also see
www.adslguide.org.uk and www.ispreview.co.uk.

Dominic

Old July 24th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Dominic" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware
of?

They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

Don't forget that has a 12 month contract and a monthly download limit of
2GB

Mmmh thats barely enough to keep patching windows.
Back to the drawing board.

Thanks, ill have a look at adslguide.

Rick

Old July 24th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 24 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "R D S" wrote:

Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware of?
They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

I used the Freeserve service from January 2002 to late November 2003 and
can say that I found the service pretty good (but others became cheaper,
and I moved to a 1 Mbps service for a similar price to that I paid FS).

I understand this 17.99 account has a traffic limit... All I'd say is to
look at sites offering streaming video (I used a 7 day trial on CinemaNow
and viewed/downloaded a few GB that week... short films were 600-800 MB)

If you only browse and check mail, then maybe it will be fine, but listen
to streaming audio and you can be downloading 25 MB/hour no problem... to
put that into perspective, you might use up the quota with 3 hours radio
a day, tough if you have a week off work... I'd consider others without
a cap, and put the USB modem away, as a router would help limit attacks
on your PC(s). Free connection is nice, free modem seems nice, but it
sometimes locks you into something inflexible. My 2p :-) Peter M.

--
PlusNet - good value ISP - http://tinyurl.com/24ymz
Old July 24th 04, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vernon Quaintance

R D S wrote:

Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware of?

They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

Thanks,
Rick

Is this REAL Broadband - ie at least 512KB download speed? Or is it the
so-called Broadband which is really only mid-band, ie 256KB download
speed?

Also watch out for capping of data transfer quantities. Many el-cheepo
suppliers place unrealistic monthly limits on how much data you can
transfer.
Old July 24th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Vernon Quaintance wrote:
R D S wrote:

Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware
of?

They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

Is this REAL Broadband - ie at least 512KB download speed? Or is it
the so-called Broadband which is really only mid-band, ie 256KB
download speed?

Also watch out for capping of data transfer quantities. Many
el-cheepo suppliers place unrealistic monthly limits on how much data
you can transfer.

It is 512kb download speed, but capped at 2GB monthly.

Dominic

Old July 24th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spoon

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 13:10:18 +0100, [R D S] mentioned :-

Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware of?

They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

Thanks,
Rick

Wanadoo are a rogue ISP - they host voila.fr, gratisweb,com and
perso.wanadoo.es - which are being abused and are distributing/hosting
pr0n diallers - and have been for about a year. They have no idea what
they are doing. Steer well clear.

http://snipurl.com/7zm6

Old July 24th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:06:54 +0100, R D S wrote:

Mmmh thats barely enough to keep patching windows.
Back to the drawing board.

Thanks, ill have a look at adslguide.

Whilst it is not promoted particularly aggressively (it is marketed
primarily to existing UK Online dial users), our "Virtual ISP" brand
UK Online operate a broadband service, with no download limits:

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/

UK Online Broadband does not currently have an ADSLGuide forum (I
understand that this may change shortly though).

--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester

Old July 24th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

R D S wrote:
Hi before i take the plunge is there anything that i should be aware of?

They are doing free modem & connection and £17.99pm.

Thanks,
Rick

Stuff Wanapoo; check out www.pipex.com 512k, free modem/connection. NO limits, 1-month
contract (subject to £60ish cancellation fee. - no fee after 12months)