Telewest BB - any good?

Old July 24th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

Default Telewest BB - any good?

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:32:06 +0100, Steve Evans [email protected] wrote:

I would appreciate some real-life opinions on their service,

My experience and opinions:-
paper billing is poor (arrives late with insufficient time to pay by their
specified date)
newsroups are (currently - touch wood, fingers crossed) good
email service has been wrecked by microsoft
web space ok
technical support via newsgroups is reasonable
technical support by phone - not used/required

technical info regarding hardware requirements

erm - a computer with usb or ethernet interface - they rent you the cable modem
a mains supply point for their modem

IP allocation

dynamic

ports blocked or not, etc.

dunno - all the common stuff seems to run - but I don't use anything exotic.
If you want to run your own web server or summat it has to be password
protected.

HTH

Geo
Old July 24th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Craig

wrote

Can you elaborate on this a little the mail service being poor does
not bother me one bit has I run my own mailserver but would like to
know why you are saying the problem is all down to Microsoft .
Flighttracker .

The mail servers run on MS Exchange. Microsoft have had some folks at BY
towers for a few weeks now and the platform still has "a few" authentication
issues.

--
Craig

Old July 25th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:33:26 GMT, Geo
wrote:

technical info regarding hardware requirements

erm - a computer with usb or ethernet interface - they rent you the cable modem
a mains supply point for their modem

I think rented could be a little misleading. The cable modem is
included with your connection as long as you are a BY customer.

ports blocked or not, etc.

No ports are blocked other than those used by the most common worms
due to the traffic they propagate that infects other users.

dunno - all the common stuff seems to run - but I don't use anything exotic.
If you want to run your own web server or summat it has to be password
protected.

No it doesn't, it just needs to be for your own personal use. We did
a complete update to the Acceptable Use Policy last year.

HTH

Alex

--

Alex Brown
Technical Manager, blueyonder Internet Team
Old July 25th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Steve Evans wrote:

Cheers Alex, I wasn't expecting a response from a BY employee in here.

Lurking often, posting rarely, seems the way of a handful of ISPs, or
it falls into personal time and we should appreciate it all the more!

--
TalkTalk for free calls to other TT customers...
Reductions on calls to up to 3 mobile numbers...

Old July 25th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Alex Brown wrote:

it falls into personal time and we should appreciate it all the more!

The latter!

Guessed as much, Alex, so good on you for being willing. I know far too
many system admins who would take a long drag on their roll-up and say
something unprintable rather than post a useful response - heck, they
consider 'users' to be a bl**dy nuisance even if they are the 'bread
and butter' of the sysadmin having a job. Peter M.
Old July 25th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:27:08 GMT, Alex Brown
wrote:

I think rented could be a little misleading. The cable modem is
included with your connection as long as you are a BY customer.

Ok - it's kindly loaned to you by BY... :-)

dunno - all the common stuff seems to run - but I don't use anything exotic.
If you want to run your own web server or summat it has to be password
protected.

No it doesn't, it just needs to be for your own personal use. We did
a complete update to the Acceptable Use Policy last year.

Ok - I'll have to work that one out then - thought it was ok for my daughter to
access my (password-required) server...

Geo