Telewest BB - any good?

Old July 24th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nozza

Default Telewest BB - any good?

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:32:06 +0100, Steve Evans [email protected] wrote:

As per subject.
Just moved home and BT can't swap the existing Telewest line over to
BT until the 9th (damn them), so I'm contemplating keeping the line so
I can get Telewest phone/BB up and running quickly.
I would appreciate some real-life opinions on their service, and
technical info regarding hardware requirements, IP allocation, ports
blocked or not, etc.

I have found them to be really reliable here in the Black Country. It
is fast and, up until this week, I have had 14 months continuous up
time. It was down on Monday afternoon, but back on later.

The mail service is dodgy - refusing to connect - so I use yahoo for
mail.

News server was poor when I tried it - but I use individual.net
anyway.

I have been impressed with the availability and speed of the service
though.

Hardware - they provide the cable modem. CM has USB or ethernet
connection to a PC (or router). IP address is assigned using DHCP, but
in practise mine has stayed the same for the past year.

Not aware of any ports being blocked.

HTH

Noz
--