Recommend a hub?

Old July 25th 04, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

Default Recommend a hub?

Hi,

I'm after a 5 (or more) port hub that broadcasts traffic to all ports
as opposed to switching it only to the port that requests it.

I understand some 'hubs' will switch data. Any ideas which ones wont?

Thanks

zeebop

Old July 25th 04, 05:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Linker3000 wrote:

zeebop wrote:

I'm after a 5 (or more) port hub that broadcasts traffic to all ports
as opposed to switching it only to the port that requests it.

I understand some 'hubs' will switch data. Any ideas which ones wont?

I;ve some hubs here, but most are limited to 10 Mbps, and are not 10/100
which you need to clarify. I've not seen anything described as a 'hub'
if it is really a switch, because in most cases, switches have been a
little more costly, so I guess they invlude the term to justify price
(or show it is a bargain).

why ?

If you need to monitor the packets, logging data, or had multiple paths
(of which only one was active) there may be a wish to 'broadcast' data
to multiple units (eg wireless access points). I have no idea what
application the OP has but perhaps that will be clarified later.

--
TalkTalk for free calls to other TT customers...
Reductions on calls to up to 3 mobile numbers...
Old July 25th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

poster wrote:

If you need to monitor the packets, logging data, or had multiple paths
(of which only one was active) there may be a wish to 'broadcast' data
to multiple units (eg wireless access points). I have no idea what
application the OP has but perhaps that will be clarified later.

Thanks - I know all this I was just curious in this instance.

Old July 25th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

zeebop wrote:

I'm after a 5 (or more) port hub that broadcasts traffic to all ports
as opposed to switching it only to the port that requests it.

I understand some 'hubs' will switch data. Any ideas which ones wont?

I;ve some hubs here, but most are limited to 10 Mbps, and are not 10/100
which you need to clarify. I've not seen anything described as a 'hub'
if it is really a switch, because in most cases, switches have been a
little more costly, so I guess they invlude the term to justify price
(or show it is a bargain).

why ?

If you need to monitor the packets, logging data, or had multiple paths
(of which only one was active) there may be a wish to 'broadcast' data
to multiple units (eg wireless access points). I have no idea what
application the OP has but perhaps that will be clarified later.

Thanks for your reply. Ideally I would like a 10/100 hub.

The reason behind it is that, using apps (I mainly run ms based os)
like ettercap and cain aren't really producing the results I want on
my switched network, so I thought I'd take the easy way out and use
ethereal (which I think looks very, very good) and change my network
to hub based. I'm mostly after trapping IM traffic.

Do you think this one would do the trick (could really do with more
ports though) I'm presuming the network cards I'm using wont be a
factor.
http://tinyurl.com/3m9mo
Old July 25th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, zeebop wrote:

The reason behind it is that, using apps (I mainly run ms based os)
like ettercap and cain aren't really producing the results I want on
my switched network,... I'm mostly after trapping IM traffic.

Do you think this one would do the trick... http://tinyurl.com/3m9mo

Without knowing more about your existing network it would be difficult
to answer whether it would 'do the trick' (I don't know what ettercap
or cain do, for starters) but on the assumption that you're linking
a number of PCs, to some internet gateway(s), then using this hub to
connect {internet gateway(s)} one side to {rest of LAN} on the other
would mean that a packet sniffer off this hub should be able to grab
all you need, and more ports don't seem necessary, IMHO. Peter M.

--
PlusNet - good value ISP - http://tinyurl.com/24ymz
Old July 25th 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:01:33 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 25 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, zeebop wrote:

The reason behind it is that, using apps (I mainly run ms based os)
like ettercap and cain aren't really producing the results I want on
my switched network,... I'm mostly after trapping IM traffic.

Do you think this one would do the trick... http://tinyurl.com/3m9mo

Without knowing more about your existing network it would be difficult
to answer whether it would 'do the trick' (I don't know what ettercap
or cain do, for starters) but on the assumption that you're linking
a number of PCs, to some internet gateway(s), then using this hub to
connect {internet gateway(s)} one side to {rest of LAN} on the other
would mean that a packet sniffer off this hub should be able to grab
all you need, and more ports don't seem necessary, IMHO. Peter M.

I currently have a 4 port 10Mb Alcatel 510 router/adsl modem/switch
connected to a 5 port 100/10 netgear switch. I have 4 pc's +
requirement of an uplink cable so to get 100Mb on all the PC's I need
to plug them into a 5 port switch - Although I have seen the alcatel
hardware advertised as a hub, it doesnt seem to help if I plug the
equipment directly into it, so I think it switches packets.

So I'll think I'll get a hub to replace the switch and hope that it is
a true hub, and the fact it will be plugged into the alcatel hardware
wont cause a problem watching the packets.
Old July 25th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, zeebop wrote:

I'll get a hub to replace the switch and hope that it is
a true hub

For a 4 port or 8 port you could take a look on Ebay. There's an
8 port 3Com hub (I bought something similar but it is out on loan
and the 16 port will be needed for a client this week, but larger
than you'd have really needed) for about a tenner plus a fiver to
cover delivery. Saves a tenner over the cost of the Netgear (you
can pick one of those up for a fiver plus a fiver for delivery on
Ebay, if you prefer...) Peter M.

Item 5711233695 closes in 30+ minutes - search for "3Com hub" and
you'll see 3Com OfficeConnect 10/100 speed 8 port hub 3C16753
and another similar entry but ~16.50 with a few hours to go,
or do a search for "10/100 hub" and you might find some bargain.