Recomend me an ISP

Old July 25th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
noman

Default Recomend me an ISP

I would like unrestricted 512 Broadband.

Free setup and modem/filters unless there is a financial reason to pay for
them.

I use Newsgroups, pop mail, msn, webspace and kazaa.

My research leads me to Pipex solo 500.

Is this the best choice?

Thanks for any info or views

Old July 25th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"noman" wrote in message
I would like unrestricted 512 Broadband.

Free setup and modem/filters unless there is a financial reason to pay for
them.

I use Newsgroups, pop mail, msn, webspace and kazaa.

My research leads me to Pipex solo 500.

Is this the best choice?

Thanks for any info or views

Pipex is not bad at all for all of the services your require except
Newsgroups. The Binary News Servers are the worst I have ever seen. The
problems are long standing, a fix has been promised by Pipex for over a year
and no improvement has been seen to date. The Text News Servers are not bad
at all.

Old July 25th 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:10:57 +0100, "Q" wrote:

"noman" wrote in message
I would like unrestricted 512 Broadband.

Free setup and modem/filters unless there is a financial reason to pay for
them.

I use Newsgroups, pop mail, msn, webspace and kazaa.

My research leads me to Pipex solo 500.

Is this the best choice?

Thanks for any info or views

Pipex is not bad at all for all of the services your require except
Newsgroups. The Binary News Servers are the worst I have ever seen. The
problems are long standing, a fix has been promised by Pipex for over a year
and no improvement has been seen to date. The Text News Servers are not bad
at all.

An odd quirk of this newsgroup is that if an ISP is not mention then
that in itself is a recommendation of its quality, overall service and
sensible pricing. Think about it and trawl through the ADSL guide to
make your final selection.

David Bradley
Old July 25th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip

An odd quirk of this newsgroup is that if an ISP is not mention then
that in itself is a recommendation of its quality, overall service and
sensible pricing.

I haven't seen AOL mentioned much (if at all), does that make them a good
ISP ?...

Old July 25th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:30:09 UTC, ":::Jerry::::" wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip

An odd quirk of this newsgroup is that if an ISP is not mention then
that in itself is a recommendation of its quality, overall service and
sensible pricing.

I haven't seen AOL mentioned much (if at all), does that make them a good
ISP ?...

No, it is just a given that AOL should be avoided. And, mostly, that AOL
users don't have the nous to find this newsgroup. Or are too ashamed to
say anything...

(ducks)

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old July 25th 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Reid

Bob Eager wrote :
No, it is just a given that AOL should be avoided. And, mostly, that
AOL users don't have the nous to find this newsgroup. Or are too
ashamed to say anything...

(ducks)

I have an AOL connection which is useful because there are no limits. It
has worked perfectly on the no name router I bought locally in January
and has never needed a reset. I only had to use the AOL client to get
set up and since then, normal tools. [I am not posting this using my AOL
link though, I use it mainly for music.]

I do get my email, news and other services elsewhere, but I could not
fault the connectivity which has been rock solid for well over six
months. It seems to me the market is going to segment some more anyway
in the future and the days of the totally integrated ISP are numbered

--
John
Mail sent to the reply address will be binned automatically.
Old July 25th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
noman

I use news.individual.net not the ISPs own groups.

Old July 25th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niaz Khan

"noman" wrote in message
I would like unrestricted 512 Broadband.

Free setup and modem/filters unless there is a financial reason to pay for
them.

I use Newsgroups, pop mail, msn, webspace and kazaa.

My research leads me to Pipex solo 500.

Is this the best choice?

From my own research - Pipex as come up very good, Another which seems very
good but slightly more expensive are Zen. The only question that I asked
myself about Zen was if I am happy to pay for the 512k service I could pay a
litle bit more & get 1mb ??

I however have not yet jumped to broadband but should do in the next few
month's & will probably go with either Zen or Pipex.
Currently I am on btopenworld dial-up.

I'm pondering over my current pc setup & how to get them all online with a
wired house solution before I make the jump to broadband.

--
Niaz Khan
'..getting old & still playing video games..'

Old July 25th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:19:26 UTC, Tx2
wrote:

begin a new life...dump Windows!

Ahh, the true colours behind the comments.

I fail to see the connection. But I see that an AOL mind might.

Old July 25th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

I haven't seen AOL mentioned much (if at all), does that make them a good
ISP ?...

Exception that proves the rule.....

Dave