How to make a BT Broadband wireless?

Old July 25th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hoshisato

Default How to make a BT Broadband wireless?

I have BT Broadband at home and I am interested in changing it into a
wireless network. At the moment I have the BT Voyager 200 router
connected to a Netgear FVS318 (for the additional ports) and that
works fine but I want to get rid of the cables. The BT Voyager 200
router has an USB and an ethernet port. Is there a product on the
market that I can plug into this router to turn it into a "wireless
router"?

Thanks
Old July 25th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Hoshisato wrote:

I have BT Broadband at home and I am interested in changing it into a
wireless network. At the moment I have the BT Voyager 200 router
connected to a Netgear FVS318 (for the additional ports) and that
works fine but I want to get rid of the cables. The BT Voyager 200
router has an USB and an ethernet port. Is there a product on the
market that I can plug into this router to turn it into a "wireless
router"?

Thanks

You could certainly do it with a wireless access point (plus, of course,
wireless network cards in all your PCs).

However, a neater solution would be to buy a combined ADSL modem/wireless
router/firewall - and ditch your current kit.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 26th 04, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nathan Whitington

I've set up a BT Broadband connection using a wireless router and it
is certainly great. We can now use our laptops or other PCs and
connect to the internet.

I would certainly recomend the 3com office connect Wireless ADSL
router and ethernet modem (all in one) which at certain places comes
with a free PCMCIA card. If you don't have a laptop you can get them
with a usb reciever, also as the same offer. This package costs around
80 - 90 and is a good modem to use. You do however have to have an
ethernet card to use this modem, something that isn't actually advised
where I bought it. If you don't have one a PCI card can cost anything
as much as 10. www.redstore.com do them for around this price. You
don't need anything too fancy. The router I suggested is wireless
802.11g and easy to set up.

BT have no problems with you using this sort of setup. The data that
you require to set this up with this modem is the way it communicates
with your network or computer. Most modems use 'PPoA' which is Point
to Point over ATM. This is the way ADSL communicates with your service
provider via your local loop. When setting up the modem it asks you
which is your connection type, so unless you are using a local network
or ethernet to connect to the internet, you'll find that it's PPoA.

You then need to type in your username and password. Don't worry, for
bt broadband a password isn't actually required, however some ADSL
modems have trouble without a password, so just type in bt and it
usually connects. Your username is usually .
Your IP is assigned by your ISP, and you only need to type in the VPI
(Virtual Path Identifier) and the VCI (Virtual Channel Identifier).
The VCI is 38 and the encapsulation is VC MUX.

After setting this up you only need to connect and it is connected.
The 3com office connect does get it's power from the mains, therefore
if your main computer isn't actually switched on, another PC or laptop
can indeed pick up the signal, as it is now the modem which connects,
rather than your computer via the modem like the original BT Voyager
setup.

Hope This Helps,

Nat