Heads up Plusnet UPDATE : Early JUNE and still no service ....

Old July 25th 04, 12:26 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Default Heads up Plusnet UPDATE : Early JUNE and still no service ....

TX2 wrote in
:

The line they are on is 'shared', in that it goes via the same
premises,

DACS+ADSL=problems.

When I last had a new line installed I was told you don't get any choice
whether it is DACS or not. The most reliable solution would be to find a
way onto a clear line (ie order a new line and hope that doesn't come
DACS - but could be costly and not guarenteed to not be DACS).

Odd that you've not had responses quickly, I had some ADSL
troubleshooting and tickets going backwards and forwards several times a
day. The long waits only happened when it was up to BT to do something.

--
Colin
Old July 25th 04, 12:54 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

TX2 wrote in
:

oh crap .... i foresee all sorts of aggro ahead for me, maybe i better
cancel the new line? I'll ask the engineer on the day of install what
he's going to do i think. If he mentions DACS, he can "bugger off"...

I would definately try to make sure DACS doesn't get involved, the only
time you will need DACS is if your exchange is low on spare twisted
pairs. The road I used to live in stuck out in between a couple of golf
courses and a railway so had a limited number of pairs.
Furthermore, there had at some point been several newer house built which
polished off any spare lines.

The engineer turned up and I noticed him getting an odd box out so asked
about it. He installed the DACS box and then rang the exchange to get our
line put on the DACS system only to be told that the exchange was not
only out of lines, but the DACS on the lines was completely maxed out
aswell.

It took them several days and they actually had to dig up sections of the
road to install brand new copper just for me. Brilliant thing is that for
every day past the due install date BT are unable to supply for, they
give you a months free rental :0)

Yes, Plusnet have been at the mercy of BT in some instances, but they
have not called this customer when they said they would, nor responded
to such requests a refunds for ELF that have been raised.

Again I think the question of refunds can fall on BT. BT will still be
charging PlusNet for the user, so any refund will cause PlusNet to lose
money

Looking over the messages in p.s.cf, I'd have expected BT to have had
their ADSL engineer out on the 23rd and PlusNet to have checked in with
BT that day to see a response. However, the review time was 8pm and I
wonder if the ADSL faults team are one of the weekday 9-5 shifts. As
such, it wouldn't get picked up by the faults team until tomorrow
morning.

You also say the ADSL engineer did not visit the customer premises - in
that case someone from PlusNet needs to lodge a complaint with BT because
the BT engineer has been filling in his forms for work not done. Doing so
may also get another engineer visit quicker than waiting for another
appointment via the normal sytem.

The issue of DACS on the line needs to be made VERY clear as that is more
than likely the fault. To me it sounds like:

Customer A (non-plusnet) has connection
Customer B (plusnet) makes connection, Customer A gets disconnected
Customer A reconnects, Customer B gets disconnected.

So effectively the DACS can only support one DSL connection at a time and
BT wholesale accepted an ADSL order on an unsuitable line. There may be
nothing physically wrong with the line as that is just how DACS works..

--
Colin
Old July 25th 04, 01:21 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, cw wrote:

DACS+ADSL=problems.

The two are not just going to give problems, they're plain incompatible.
If they cannot remove DACS then ADSL won't work, not "problem", but nil.

In this case it might be some sort of interference (cross-talk) from one
to other line as the second property's line goes via the first property,
and perhaps could be solved with a BT (ADSL) engineer visit...

http://www.tesco.net/help/broadband/ - list of incompatible products:

"You’ll need a BT residential line to use the Tesco broadband service,
however some BT services are not compatible. You should not proceed with
your registration if you are running any of the following services:

Subscriber Private Meeting
30K loop
Private Services
Red Care
Copper Wideband Servicing Sections
CWss 2 or 3 pair
Featurenet 5000 services
Private Exchange Branch Lines
DACS

It took BT over a week to remove DACS from a friend's line. His ISP
(Eclipse) adjusted the billing date so it was from the time he was
first able to get connected, when BT had finally made it usable.

Of course there's no guarantee they will use DACS (it costs) but no
guarantee there is spare copper, either. Perhaps the increase in
ADSL will have reduced the number of "second lines" which were used
with households wanting voice and internet access, so rented lines
may be a declining number, overall. Peter M.
Old July 25th 04, 01:59 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

When I last had a new line installed I was told you don't get any choice
whether it is DACS or not. The most reliable solution would be to find a
way onto a clear line (ie order a new line and hope that doesn't come
DACS - but could be costly and not guarenteed to not be DACS).

You can order a new line specifically for broadband ie no DACS.
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl....ifl.net#link1
See that link for an old post that was sent from the chief exec of BT. The
OP couldn't get broadband due to the length of the line and the chief exec's
answer was to order using their "new service".

I quote, "However we have recently launched a service that I think may be of
some assistance to your, of course I must still stress that this would be no
guarantee of service, but we do now offer a service which you can request
through your ISP, whereby you can ask for simultaneous provision of both a
new telephone line and broadband, making it quite clear that you are only
ordering the telephone line for broadband use. Should the line after testing
prove that it is unable to support broadband the order for both would be
cancelled and you would not incur any charges or be held to any terms or
conditions."

Steven.

Old July 25th 04, 02:32 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"cw" wrote in message

So effectively the DACS can only support one DSL connection at a time
and BT wholesale accepted an ADSL order on an unsuitable line. There
may be nothing physically wrong with the line as that is just how
DACS works..

Whatever, the problem is - it will have *nothing* to do with DACS - if there
was DACS on either ADSL customers line, the ADSL service just woudn't work
at all...

The problem sounds like some kind of line interference - probably on/from
the local distribution pole.

Regards
Sunil

Old July 25th 04, 02:48 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

The problem sounds like some kind of line interference - probably on/from
the local distribution pole.

from my reading of an earlier post, seems like cross-talk as existing
AOL user has phone line going via the affected user's property. I've
not had cross-talk problems on my lines (one line goes up to another
floor, but only the installation of the HH caused them to pull cable
in the duct from the manhole... no overhead cables here :-) Peter M.
--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension
Old July 25th 04, 02:50 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Sunil Sood" wrote in
:
Whatever, the problem is - it will have *nothing* to do with DACS - if
there was DACS on either ADSL customers line, the ADSL service just
woudn't work at all...

Ahh, my misunderstanding there. We never actually had DACS as they had to
put extra copper in so by the time it came to ADSL there wasn't any
problem.
If it is made clear to BT in the problem raised with them that this
affects both the PlusNet customer and the other customer then they should
be more likely to come to the appropriate conclusion

--
Colin
Old July 25th 04, 03:44 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
jelv

cw wrote:

The issue of DACS on the line needs to be made VERY clear as that is more
than likely the fault. To me it sounds like:

I don't think it will be DACS as Tim said that either one of the two
ADSL lines will work on their own, but not both together. I understood
that ADSL would not work at all on a DACS line.

--
John
Old July 25th 04, 04:59 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"TX2" wrote in message

In article ,
-o-m, a.k.a jelv says...

I don't think it will be DACS as Tim said that either one of the two
ADSL lines will work on their own, but not both together. I
understood that ADSL would not work at all on a DACS line

Just to correct this ... i only *suspect* it's when they are both
working together than the problem occurs. Given that which we
experienced, there seemed to be a strong case to indicate this might
have some reflection on the problem at hand.

You may want to suggest that the next door neighbour reports his ADSL
problem to BT via AOL as well...

Regards
Sunil

Old July 25th 04, 05:00 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
P H

The issue of DACS on the line needs to be made VERY clear as that is more
than likely the fault. To me it sounds like:

Customer A (non-plusnet) has connection
Customer B (plusnet) makes connection, Customer A gets disconnected
Customer A reconnects, Customer B gets disconnected.

So effectively the DACS can only support one DSL connection at a time and
BT wholesale accepted an ADSL order on an unsuitable line. There may be
nothing physically wrong with the line as that is just how DACS works..

My 2pence worth:

Doesn't sound anything like a DACS fault to me. You can't have a DACS and
ADSL on the same line. ADSL will not work when routed via DACS equipment
and both these customers clearly have access to their respective ADSL
service providers and account log on details which would be on different
ADSL ports on the DSLAM in the exchange. When the lines have ADSL put on to
them, this requires an engineer to re jumper the line via the ADSL equipment
in the exchange, at which point he would spot a DACS on the line (if this
hadn't already been picked up). He would then have to delay the ADSL
activation until the DACS was removed.

It sounds more like the two ADSL modem's / lines are interfering with each
other. Quite often the DSLAM / ADSL equipment in the exchange which is
placed into a customers line can hide minor faults from the line test system
that is used by BT to remotely test the line, and that is why a line can
show as "line test Okay" when in fact you have a problem. Some faults never
show up on a line test. I would lay odds on this being a split pair or minor
contact fault causing a signal noise ratio / SNR issue when both ADSL modems
are switched on.

73's de Phill H.