ip address?

Old July 25th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LESLIE EVANS

Default ip address?

Hi,
trying to set up a wireless network and need to fill in IP address,any
one able to help?
regards,Les.

Old July 25th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:12:30 +0100, "LESLIE EVANS"
wrote:

trying to set up a wireless network and need to fill in IP address,any
one able to help?

Diffcult one this. The IP address will depend entirely upon how your
network is configured. You need to provide a lot more information
about what you already have and what you plan to do. You may need to
do quite a bit of reading as well.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old July 25th 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

trying to set up a wireless network and need to fill in IP address,any
one able to help?

Diffcult one this. The IP address will depend entirely upon how your
network is configured. You need to provide a lot more information
about what you already have and what you plan to do. You may need to
do quite a bit of reading as well.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

Where are you being asked for an IP address WAN, LAN or default gateway or
other.

What equipment are you using ?.

Old July 25th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

Try http://www.whatsmyip.org/

--
Alec McKenzie

Old July 25th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

"LESLIE EVANS" wrote in message
Hi,
trying to set up a wireless network and need to fill in IP address,any
one able to help?
regards,Les.

Surely this is proof that IP networking has, in the space of 30 years, gone
from the preserve of Postellian high wizardry to mass acceptance. If
somebody is setting up a network and asking what an IP address *is* - then
that's really saying something.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to do the OP down in any way - we all have
to start somewhere - but it stuck me that his post marked a milestone in the
history of the Internet, and that we should perhaps all pause to think about
its significance.

Jonathan

Old July 25th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Alec McKenzie wrote in news:mckenzie-
:

Try
http://www.whatsmyip.org/

A mate was working at a clients place and didn't know the IP so he used
something like that site. He then had all sorts of problems VNCing into
the server until he realised that one of the upstreams was putting
everything through a not so transparent cache.

So basically that site will give Leslie an IP address, which may or may
not be what is being asked for..

--
Colin
Old July 26th 04, 04:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Jonathan" wrote:

and asking what an IP address *is*

I guess that's your interpretation, but as I read the post, I assumed
that there was a screen needing a gateway IP address, which will have
some default determined by the manufacturer of the wireless kit. For
some of the routers I've bought, the default IP is 10.0.0.2 while the
default for different firms might be 19x.xxx.xx.xx (unmemorable, so I
don't bother to waste brainpower keeping those numbers in mind :-)

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension