Good modem for 1mb Pipex?

Old July 25th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamie_Manic

Default Good modem for 1mb Pipex?

Hi

I currently use Pipex, a 1mb connection, and generally it's fantastic, I
achieve low pings when playing games and, permitting the connection supports
it at the other end, I can download at about 110kbps.

But I have a few issues, sometimes when viewing websites I don't get images
etc showing up as instantly as I would expect. Sometimes I have to wait a
few seconds before I actually see anything. I often stuggle with Usenet as
well, it runs incredibly slowly at times when simply retrieving messages
(although I think this is a Pipex issue). Now and then I also fail to get a
net signal and I have to reboot before my modem will pick up the 'DSL
layer', as it calls it.

I'm wondering if my modem could be holding me back a bit? It's a PCI
Speedstream 3060 modem from Efficient Networks, and it doesn't actually seem
to be even getting driver support anymore.

So, would I see any benefits from buying a newer modem? Exactly how have
broadband modems improved? Can anyone recommend something to me?

Thanks!

--
-
I know the wheels go round and round, but whats the story prior to that

Old July 25th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamie_Manic

"Steve Evans" [email protected] wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:30:37 +0100, "Jamie_Manic" mmmm...pork rind
wrote:

[...]

Try downloading a big file from a local ftp site, like ftp.demon.net
using a proper ftp client, if you don't get a solid 1Mbps transfer
rate then you need to look at your modem or PC settings (mtu, rwin,
etc).

Yeah, files coming down at about 115k/s, top speed, everything ok there.

Not picking up the 'DSL layer' sounds like a modem problem.

Yeah I think you're right.

A nice new
Netgear or Vigor modem/router will stay connected and just be 'there'
every time you boot-up, maybe that's an option?

Possibly yeah, I'll have to do some reseach into them and how they operate.

Pipex newsgroups - ok for text if you use news-text.dial.pipex.com,
crap for anything else.

Excellent tip! Now I can read news!

Old July 26th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

A nice new
Netgear or Vigor modem/router will stay connected and just be 'there'
every time you boot-up, maybe that's an option?

Possibly yeah, I'll have to do some reseach into them and how they
operate.

Pipex newsgroups - ok for text if you use news-text.dial.pipex.com,
crap for anything else.

Excellent tip! Now I can read news!

Shouldn't that be news-text.dsl.pipex.com if you are using broadband?