Poole Dorset area broadband ISP's...NTL or BT?

Old July 25th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Poole Dorset area broadband ISP's...NTL or BT?

"Ally" wrote in message

So I'm thinking of trying BT (whose services I usually avoid like the
plague, because I don't like their money-grubbing tactics). But they
seem to be the only other broadband access provider in this area. Has
anyone tried the BT service (Basic 512Kbps, that is)?

On BT's ADSL network - you have the choice of a couple of hundred different
ISP's.

Unless your intended usage is less than 2GB/month - don't choose the 19.99
BT Broadband Basic package

Regards
Sunil

Old July 25th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ally

Hi, I've been trying NTL's broadband service, and it stinks. 50% of
the time, I can't access the internet at all due to server congestion;
I have to log on to my other dial-up accound (with a different ISP) to
get access to the internet!

So I'm thinking of trying BT (whose services I usually avoid like the
plague, because I don't like their money-grubbing tactics). But they
seem to be the only other broadband access provider in this area. Has
anyone tried the BT service (Basic 512Kbps, that is)?

Anyone compared it to NTL's basic broadband performance?

Many thanks

AL
Old July 25th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Ally wrote:
On 25 Jul 2004 18:01:11 GMT, cw wrote:

(Ally) wrote in news:4103f513.8387190
@news.individual.net:
But they
seem to be the only other broadband access provider in this area.
Has anyone tried the BT service (Basic 512Kbps, that is)?

If you are referring to ADSL, you can get that through a variety of
different ISPs, not just BT. Have a look at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk

Colin, Thanks for the tip. Anyone know of a good ratings site which
compares the ASDL broadband providers (value for money+user ratings)?

As well as adslguide.org.uk:

www.net4nowt.com
www.ispreview.co.uk

Dominic

Old July 25th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Ally wrote:

Anyone know of a good ratings site which compares the ASDL broadband
providers (value for money+user ratings)?

ADSLguide has comparison info for both aspects, but not combined.
You can choose up to 6 ISPs and see comparison graphics for their
user-rated speed, reliability and customer service scores over a
period of several months. Separately they allow you to specify the
criteria concerning getting an account (eg free install, low monthly
fees, contract length) and get a list of them. One thing which will
perhaps need thorough checking is whether there's a traffic limit for
any specific account(s) you see, as some of the cheap (and even not so
cheap) have limits. For example 15 GB a month for one of the Wanadoo
accounts (where just one PC has downloaded 1 GB today, with another
PC downloading just 50 MB, on one ADSL link, mostly listening to the
output from Solar Radio (.com) for the past 15 hours, and I have no
count on the second ADSL link, without changing the router to one
which reports the details... though my ISP claims 1.15 GB, which
may be correct... have had webcam, s/w downloads, and other things
working on that link...). Peter M

(yes, perhaps a heavy user, but PlusNet's stats show figures from
28 MB one day, and other [rounded] figures of 3x 75 MB, 125 MB, 2x
150, 200, 2x 225, 250, 2x 300, 325, 400, 450, so my usage varies :-)

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.