NTL house wiring

Old July 26th 04, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Default NTL house wiring

My daughters moving into a student house in Nottingham and the NTL
wiring baffles me.
The cable come in to a box on the front of the house. Inside that
there's a splitter, with two outputs, both just labelled OUT.
One goes throught the front wall to an NTL box which only has a RF
type output connection.
The second goes (via the cellar) to another NTL box in the rear living
room - this box has FM, TV & data outputs. From this box there's a
white RF cable strung around the living room to a splitter at the TV,
and another cable from that splitter which goes through the internal
wall to the box on the inside of the front wall.

The system isn't in use at the moment but we know that the previous
occupants used the box in the rear room for Internet access. What
baffles me is that the internal RF cable seems to go from one internal
NTL box to the other, even though both are directly wired back to the
outside box - (so it's apparently wired in a ring) anyone know why this
might be? Also, what is the point of the NTL box in the front room,
which just has an RF connection?

Old July 27th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rory

There is a cable from the box with the single RF connector that goes to
where the TV would be (into a splitter) but then a cable goes from that to
the second box. It all looks fairly 'properly' installed (ie not something
students would have done themselves). The internal wiring would make sense
if it wasn't for the fact that the 2 boxes are individually wired back to
the outside wall box, so (apparently) creating a ring.
Rob
"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:14:27 +0000 (UTC), "Rob"
strung together this:

anyone know why this
might be?

Nope, could be remnants of some internal wiring installed previous to
the second box. I've seen people plug any wires they can find into
anything available if they don't know what it does.

Also, what is the point of the NTL box in the front room,
which just has an RF connection?

Er, cable TV would be my best guess.

Old July 28th 04, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:18:52 +0100, "Rory"
strung together this:

It all looks fairly 'properly' installed (ie not something
students would have done themselves).

Yes, but I was referring to the what the ends are plugged into, if it
was properly installed it doesn't mean it hasn't been unplugged and
then plugged back into something that it shouldn't have at a later
date.

The internal wiring would make sense
if it wasn't for the fact that the 2 boxes are individually wired back to
the outside wall box, so (apparently) creating a ring.

I have no idea, without seeing it I couldn't tell you what it's meant
to do.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd