ADSL Modem with 1Gb switch - is there one?

Old July 26th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GrahamU

Default ADSL Modem with 1Gb switch - is there one?

Two of the three PCs here have Gb ethernet that I would like to use to
full capacity (I transfer lots of very large files). I'm also looking
to replace my current PCI ADSL setup.
Question is is there a single box that will do this?
Old July 26th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

GrahamU wrote:
Two of the three PCs here have Gb ethernet that I would like to use to
full capacity (I transfer lots of very large files). I'm also looking
to replace my current PCI ADSL setup.
Question is is there a single box that will do this?

I have never come across one, but it would be easy to have a 1-port router
with built in modem connected to a gigabit switch (especially as you can get
a DLink 5 port gigabit switch for under 50 now).

If the file transfer is very important to you, I expect you will find better
quality in having seperated products, rather than a single combined one.

Don't forget you'll need gigabit ethernet cards in each PC too

Dominic

Old July 26th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:34:44 +0100, "Dominic"
wrote:

Don't forget you'll need gigabit ethernet cards in each PC too

And VLANS with jumbo frame support to make it worth while.

greg

Dominic

--
Konnt ihr mich horen?
Konnt ihr mich sehen?
Old July 27th 04, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

GrahamU wrote:

Two of the three PCs here have Gb ethernet that I would like to use to
full capacity (I transfer lots of very large files). I'm also looking
to replace my current PCI ADSL setup.
Question is is there a single box that will do this?

Just get a "normal" ADSL router and plug it into a GigE switch. Since
your ADSL doesn't run at 100Mb/s, there's no pressing need to connect
your ADSL gateway to your LAN at 100Mb/s.

--

(Valid email address)
Old July 27th 04, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"GrahamU" wrote in
message ...
Two of the three PCs here have Gb ethernet that I would

like to use to
full capacity (I transfer lots of very large files). I'm

also looking
to replace my current PCI ADSL setup.
Question is is there a single box that will do this?

Question is, do you need it? Have you measured the
throughput on your current network interfaces?
I did, using large iso's for sustained throughput, but only
got 70 M/bits per sec, making Gigabit networking a bit of a
waste of time ;-) (at the moment, anyway)
Are you max'ing out the current 100Mb/s connection?

P.

Old July 27th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"PJB" wrote in message

"GrahamU" wrote in
message ...
Two of the three PCs here have Gb ethernet that I would

like to use to
full capacity (I transfer lots of very large files). I'm

also looking
to replace my current PCI ADSL setup.
Question is is there a single box that will do this?

Question is, do you need it? Have you measured the
throughput on your current network interfaces?
I did, using large iso's for sustained throughput, but only
got 70 M/bits per sec, making Gigabit networking a bit of a
waste of time ;-) (at the moment, anyway)
Are you max'ing out the current 100Mb/s connection?

P.

70 MBits/sec is about right for a 100 Meg connection. I have never seen yet
an Ethernet run at max stated speed throughput. In the days of Hubs this was
easily explained with the collisions etc. but on modern switched systems I
cannot figure out why you never get the full quota of BW.

Going on present trends a Gigabit switch and cards would attain you about
7-800MBit/s throughput.

Old July 27th 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GrahamU

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:19:59 +0100, "Paul Landregan"
wrote:

"PJB" wrote in message

"GrahamU" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I'm getting about 82 Mb/S... I think that counts as maxed out ;-)
I am going from RAID 0 to RAID 0 on ICH5 (off the PCI bus).

Guess I'm going to have to get 2 boxes noy one :-(

GrahamU
Old July 28th 04, 06:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

"GrahamU" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:19:59 +0100, "Paul Landregan"
wrote:

"PJB" wrote in message

"GrahamU" wrote in
message ...
[...]

You're not the only one looking for this Graham, I wish the manufacturers of
All In One type ADSL products would wake up to demand and produce a suitable
product. A gigabit (copper) device would be very suitable for imaging
machines etc where theres very high traffic between machines (although as
pointed out the ADSL feed itself will never require this bandwidth). I'll
keep checking the SMC website.

Paul

Old July 28th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cp

Linksys do a 1gb 5 port hub/switch - - I bought it in the states along with
3 1gb Nic's though not seen a router - but then adsl / cable id never gonna
exceed 8mb ( max throughput for most current modems anyway)

--
Regards,

CP

Old July 28th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

The internet traffic won't need the speed but for traffic *between the PCs*
the speed may come in very useful - eg for rolling out images. There are
seperate small switches and ethernet ADSL modems/routers but I haven't yet
seen an "All In One" combined gigabit unit similar to the ones SMC does in
100 Mbit flavours.

Paul