Suspended for using Bittorrent

Old July 26th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

Default Suspended for using Bittorrent

Saw this on a DVD newsgroup.

"Clara net suspended my account for using it
i had to send them a letter telling them i would not use it again.
I would not mind but i only downloaded "Dead like me" second series
....and it is crap anyhow ;-)
They suspended me because it uploads as well ...And i guess Showtime
sent them a abuse report..."

Do all ISP's have this policy? Do Pipex? I think my son downloads
stuff via Bittorrent and I don't want to get suspended.....

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old July 26th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Walker

"Filthy Rich" wrote in message
Saw this on a DVD newsgroup.

"Clara net suspended my account for using it
i had to send them a letter telling them i would not use it again.
I would not mind but i only downloaded "Dead like me" second series
...and it is crap anyhow ;-)
They suspended me because it uploads as well ...And i guess Showtime
sent them a abuse report..."

Do all ISP's have this policy? Do Pipex? I think my son downloads
stuff via Bittorrent and I don't want to get suspended.....

My mate got a letter from BT Internet for the same reason, although not the
same torrent.

Rob

Old July 27th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamie_Manic

"Filthy Rich" wrote in message
Saw this on a DVD newsgroup.

"Clara net suspended my account for using it
i had to send them a letter telling them i would not use it again.
I would not mind but i only downloaded "Dead like me" second series
...and it is crap anyhow ;-)
They suspended me because it uploads as well ...And i guess Showtime
sent them a abuse report..."

Do all ISP's have this policy? Do Pipex?

I've never heard of Pipex giving anyone grief about their activities. I
imagine it would be the more mainstream ones like AOL (who I hear frequently
badger people), Telewest and BT that take this kinda thing seriously.

Old July 27th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

Filthy Rich wrote:

Saw this on a DVD newsgroup.

"Clara net suspended my account for using it
i had to send them a letter telling them i would not use it again.
I would not mind but i only downloaded "Dead like me" second series
...and it is crap anyhow ;-)
They suspended me because it uploads as well ...And i guess Showtime
sent them a abuse report..."

Do all ISP's have this policy? Do Pipex? I think my son downloads
stuff via Bittorrent and I don't want to get suspended.....

All ISPs do (there'll be something in the TOS about using the connection
for illegal activities - i.e. pirating). No ISP is going to sit there
and ignore legal threats. They normally deal with it by telling the end
user (you) to stop downloading illegal stuff.

I doubt you'd get cut of straight away, you'll almost certainly get a
warning. Leeching from newsgroups is much "safer" if you really feel
the need (look at http://news.astraweb.com/)...

--

(Valid email address)