router to support seperate networks

Old July 27th 04, 04:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Default router to support seperate networks

jas wrote:

are there any of the standard type adsl broandband routers that offer
seperate network support ... i have the need to share a single adsl feed
for 2 seperate companies that for their own reasons dont want to be on
the same network

Try it with 25 companies!

Put a three homed router between your ADSL router and the two other
networks.

Create subnets off the main subnet for each company and let the router
sort it all out.

What I mean is do somwthing like
ADSL inboard sub net 192.168.0.0/16 (you can tap into 192.168.0.0/24 then)
Compay A 192.168.1.0/24
Company B 192.168.2.0/24

I'm tired just finished a report and might have got the numbers wrong, I
hope you get the drift.

Each company can talk to the other via the router just as they can talk
to the rest of the internet via the router.

You then either put a couple of seperate (best way) firewalls on each
company subnet to control all traffic (make the companies do this for
themselves, you don't want the grief if their security is wrong)

Worse way is set an ACL on the router to control traffic. Firewall is
better and leaves each company to manage their own security where it
should lie. If you have a range of IPs from your ISP, route one in/out
on one of them, and the other on a different one.

I'll probably look at this again in the morning and realise I was
talking crap, but then again...

night