Using home http server with Pipex

Old July 27th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

Default Using home http server with Pipex

Hi group,

Is it possible to set up a web server at home with the Pipex Solo 250
service?
Does this service use a dynamically assigned ip address?
Does Pipex block incoming port 80, or port 21 for that matter?

I have got apache installed at home and using port 80. I'm using a
router that has port 80 opened forwarded to the apache server. I just
can't access the server from my pc at work. I'm using the ip address
that is currently assigned by looking at the router's config page.

Any ideas? I'm using a Mentor ADSL wireless router (perhaps there's
more configuration than just setting up the virtual server on the
router).

Perhaps I'm just using the wrong ip address - I can't ping it from
work.

Help!

Kind regards

Tim
Old July 28th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bjorn

Richard Sobey wrote in message . ..
On 27 Jul 2004 03:12:32 -0700, (Tim) wrote:

Hi group,

Is it possible to set up a web server at home with the Pipex Solo 250
service?

Theoretically, unless they're blocking port 80, then yes you can. What
happens if you "telnet your ip address 80" ? This will let you know
at least if any traffic can get through to Apache and then if there is
a configuration error within Apache itself. If that doesn't work, tell
Apache to listen on a different port, something totally random. Set up
the router to forward on to that port and try again. Etc etc. You'll
need to narrow down exactly *where* the connection is failing e.g.
your ISP, router or Apache.

I tried using siteup
http://www.psi-rho.com/dsltools/siteup.php
but had no luck.
I set Apache to port 1080 and set the ip forwarding on my router to
1080 as well, but the same problems occur.
My ip address changes only when I re-start the router, I think it's
called a 'sticky' ip.
I set up a dial-up account with wanadoo to test the connection and
have the same problems.
Does anyone know which part of the router admin pages indicates your
ip? I was sure I was using the correct one, but now I'm thinking I
could be making silly mistakes. Although my router is by Mentor, it
uses the connexant admin.
I am basically doing what it says in the 'Configuration - Virtual
Server' part of this web page ...
http://www.cazart.plus.com/conexant/

Just to sum-up.
1. My apache server is on 10.0.0.11:80 and I can access it from other
PCs on the internal network. I assume I don't need to modify my Apache
settings any further when using a router?

2. My router's virtual server is set up to allow port 80 (and port
1080) to forward on to my internal web-server (10.0.0.11).

3. I have obtained my wan ip address from the router's config page.

Having read what I've just written, my initial thoughts are that I'm
getting the ip address wrong - is there any way I can be sure I get
the right one?

Kind regards

Tim
Old July 30th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bjorn

Still having no joy with this.

My 'Mentor' router uses Conexant firmware.
Can anyone give me a full list of settings that I should use to get a
web server running?

I've trued these settings, but no joy.

www.cazart.plus.com/conexant/
Old August 10th 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Smith

Sorry if Im asking obvious questions but which IP address are you
typing into your browser ? I assume that you are not using 10.0.0.11 ?
you must use the WAN IP address of your router.

Again, sorry if you knew this.

Tim