Sky+ causing adsl disconnects?

Old July 28th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Default Sky+ causing adsl disconnects?

Hope this isn't an FAQ - has anyone else come across Sky or Sky+ causing
disconnects when plugged into a filter on a dsl line?

Checking my logs, I've been averaging 90+ connections per day over the
last few months. It was suggested Sky (or a fax) on the same line might be
a cause. I disconnected the sky+ phone line 2 days ago, and not a single
disconnect so far. Router is a Cellpipe if that's important.

Anyone have any advice (other than try and get Sky to do anything. Which
is unlikely at best)

Thanks,
Dan
Old July 28th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:11:08 UTC, Dan
wrote:

Anyone have any advice (other than try and get Sky to do anything. Which
is unlikely at best)

Try a higher quality filter; not that much to lose.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old July 28th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Dan wrote:

: Checking my logs, I've been averaging 90+ connections per day over the
: last few months. It was suggested Sky (or a fax) on the same line might be
: a cause. I disconnected the sky+ phone line 2 days ago, and not a single
: disconnect so far. Router is a Cellpipe if that's important.

Sky+ only calls out once a month typically so your two day statistics are not
very good!
Old July 28th 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith WEBSTER

My understanding is that Sky+ boxes calls out (1) to verify subscriber
authenticity and (2) to update the programme guide. The latter I believe is
done quite frequently.

Old July 28th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Keith WEBSTER wrote:
My understanding is that Sky+ boxes calls out (1) to verify subscriber
authenticity

It's believed so

and (2) to update the programme guide.

No, that's done via the satellite

The latter I believe is done quite frequently.

Mine only dials out once per month (at exactly the same time of day,
and day of the month)

Old July 28th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Mark Carver wrote:
: Keith WEBSTER wrote:
: My understanding is that Sky+ boxes calls out (1) to verify subscriber
: authenticity
: It's believed so

??

: Mine only dials out once per month (at exactly the same time of day,
: and day of the month)

The latter frequency is the one I know of. During this once a month call they
upload any PPV purchases from the smartcard (or verify there were none) - and
can use the CLI from the phone call to check STB location.
Old July 28th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:11:08 +0100, Dan
wrote:

Hope this isn't an FAQ - has anyone else come across Sky or Sky+ causing
disconnects when plugged into a filter on a dsl line?

Checking my logs, I've been averaging 90+ connections per day over the
last few months. It was suggested Sky (or a fax) on the same line might be
a cause. I disconnected the sky+ phone line 2 days ago, and not a single
disconnect so far. Router is a Cellpipe if that's important.

Anyone have any advice (other than try and get Sky to do anything. Which
is unlikely at best)

Thanks,
Dan

No problems with Sky+ here. Bloody marvellous it is.....

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old July 29th 04, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Dan wrote:
Hope this isn't an FAQ - has anyone else come across Sky or Sky+
causing disconnects when plugged into a filter on a dsl line?

Checking my logs, I've been averaging 90+ connections per day over
the last few months. It was suggested Sky (or a fax) on the same
line might be a cause. I disconnected the sky+ phone line 2 days
ago, and not a single disconnect so far. Router is a Cellpipe if
that's important.

Anyone have any advice (other than try and get Sky to do anything.
Which is unlikely at best)

Thanks,
Dan

You have remembered to filter it haven't you??

Old July 29th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:11:08 +0100, Dan wrote:

Hope this isn't an FAQ - has anyone else come across Sky or Sky+ causing
disconnects when plugged into a filter on a dsl line?

Note to self: always remember to actually *use* the filter...
Don't I feel like a tool.

Thanks for the replies

Old July 29th 04, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

I seem to remember someone recommending two filters in series. I.e. plug
one into wall socket, plug second into first. Plug sky inton second. No
idea if it works. Dave