ADSL Modem/WIFI Recomendations

Old July 28th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

Default ADSL Modem/WIFI Recomendations

I have just shifted to 4mb ADSL and now being throttled by my 10mb WIFI. I
am looking to replace this with a faster 54mb WIFI and have identified 3
possibilities:-
DLINK DSL-G604T
3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router
Linksys WAG54G

The device must be able to support UPNP (MSN Messenger) and have an embedded
10/100 switch. Also must be able to support 10mb wifi. A good history of
support an bug fixes would also be important.
If anyone has bought any of the above or has an alternative I would be
gratefull to hear their impressions and why they went for the one they
bought.

rgds
Stephen Haley

Old July 29th 04, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Stephen Haley" wrote in message

I have just shifted to 4mb ADSL and now being throttled by my 10mb
WIFI. I am looking to replace this with a faster 54mb WIFI and have
identified 3 possibilities:-
DLINK DSL-G604T
3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router
Linksys WAG54G

The device must be able to support UPNP (MSN Messenger) and have an
embedded 10/100 switch. Also must be able to support 10mb wifi. A
good history of support an bug fixes would also be important.
If anyone has bought any of the above or has an alternative I would be
gratefull to hear their impressions and why they went for the one they
bought.

I assume you are getting 4MB via Bulldog - as such, you may want to consider
the Netgear DG834G.

Its chipset supports ADSL2/2+ (to be implemented via a forthcoming firmware
update) and its believed Bulldog will release ADSL2 products by the end of
the year - its also the product they sell in the "Bulldog Shop"

Otherwise, I have have had good service from a Belkin 7630.

Regards
Sunil

Old July 29th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
[...]

I use the WAG54G Router together with WPC54G notebook adapter on Windows XP
I loaded the current firmware on both items, but could not get 54Mbs working
and a bit short on range on 11Mbs
Quick phone call to Linksys (spoke to a knowledgeable lady in Texas) sorted
it out.
Latest firmware download for the adapter also installs a linksys
config/monitor utility uninstall this and let XP do its zero config thing.
Beware there are two versions of the adapter, version 1 (generally seen in
Europe) and version 2 (elsewhere). DON'T load version 2 firmware on version
1, if you do "it'll only be fit for the trashcan" according to the Texas
lady.
Once everything was done the setup is rock solid with no problems
If performance is an issue you may want to look at the WRT54GS which has
"speedboost" on the American linksys site. I don't think this has a ADSL
modem built in like the WAG54G

Old July 30th 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Stephen Haley" wrote in message
I have just shifted to 4mb ADSL and now being throttled by my 10mb WIFI. I
am looking to replace this with a faster 54mb WIFI and have identified 3
possibilities:-
DLINK DSL-G604T
3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router
Linksys WAG54G

The device must be able to support UPNP (MSN Messenger) and have an

embedded
10/100 switch. Also must be able to support 10mb wifi. A good history of
support an bug fixes would also be important.
If anyone has bought any of the above or has an alternative I would be
gratefull to hear their impressions and why they went for the one they
bought.

rgds
Stephen Haley

I use a Netgear DG834G myself - have a look on www.dslwarehouse.co.uk or
www.broadbandbuyer.com for a good price - they had a free card deal on a
while back. I went for the Netgear for ease of use, design (its in the
living room - didnt want a black or white brick device in there to be honest
!) and upgradeability. I have a friend who works for one of the big on-line
shops and he said this is the most popular box in the UK..

Old July 31st 04, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

MM wrote:

I use a Netgear DG834G myself - have a look on www.dslwarehouse.co.uk
or www.broadbandbuyer.com for a good price - they had a free card
deal on a while back. I went for the Netgear for ease of use, design
(its in the living room - didnt want a black or white brick device in
there to be honest !) and upgradeability. I have a friend who works
for one of the big on-line shops and he said this is the most popular
box in the UK..

Interesting that you think that the Netgear box looks pretty in your living
room. I reckon that it looks like a giant tin of sardines!

Opinion about its functionality appears to be divided between those who
swear *by* it and those who swear *at* it!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 31st 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
MM wrote:

I use a Netgear DG834G myself - have a look on www.dslwarehouse.co.uk
or www.broadbandbuyer.com for a good price - they had a free card
deal on a while back. I went for the Netgear for ease of use, design
(its in the living room - didnt want a black or white brick device in
there to be honest !) and upgradeability. I have a friend who works
for one of the big on-line shops and he said this is the most popular
box in the UK..

Interesting that you think that the Netgear box looks pretty in your

living
room. I reckon that it looks like a giant tin of sardines!

Opinion about its functionality appears to be divided between those who
swear *by* it and those who swear *at* it!
--
Cheers,
Tim
______

LOL - well by pretty I mean it looks better than most of the other
black/blue box with an aerial type consumer offerings !

never had a problem with, it does what it says on the (sardine) tin !

Old August 1st 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "MM" wrote:

well by pretty I mean it looks better than most ...

Those shiny silver things make me think of a fancy box of chocs !
Some will describe them overpriced, with nothing special inside !

--
TalkTalk for free calls to other TT customers...
Reductions on calls to up to 3 mobile numbers...
Old August 2nd 04, 03:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

My Draytek Vigor 2600We lives in the attic, haven't seen it since May
2003....
Regards,
Martin

Old August 3rd 04, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:44:03 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"

MM wrote:

I use a Netgear DG834G myself - have a look on www.dslwarehouse.co.uk
or www.broadbandbuyer.com for a good price - they had a free card
deal on a while back. I went for the Netgear for ease of use, design
(its in the living room - didnt want a black or white brick device in
there to be honest !) and upgradeability. I have a friend who works
for one of the big on-line shops and he said this is the most popular
box in the UK..

Interesting that you think that the Netgear box looks pretty in your living
room. I reckon that it looks like a giant tin of sardines!

Any little box with flashing lights on is good for me. In some ways
I'd like something that looked a little more complicated than a "giant
tin of sardines".

Opinion about its functionality appears to be divided between those who
swear *by* it and those who swear *at* it!

Owning the DG834G is a bit like owning a Ford. As with all things,
particularly technology, there will be certain percentage of dogs -
just that x% of a zillion is a greater whole number than x% of not
very many. It is inevitable that anything with a very high volume of
sales will generate more complaints - and it can be easy to lose sight
of the silent (vast) majority who are happy.

As I learnt in my early days as a supervisor on a support line for a
product which I felt was permanently rushed out without thorough
testing 500 angry customers in a week may seem a lot to deal with but
when you've got over 150,000 orders a week there are clearly plenty of
people quite happily using the service.

Simon (who has Netgear DG834G AND a Ford)
Old August 4th 04, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

MM wrote:

[...]

completely agree - heard that Netgear shipped their 1 millionth DG834 this
month...puts things into perspective a little

if you want business class performance then buy business products - Cisco
(i.e. not the same as Linksys) ...for consumer grade stuff then
Netgear/D-link/Linksys all have similar offerings...jsut look for a stable
popular product that meets your needs...and looks good ...and keep an eye
out for offers...they are all in competition so one month you can get a
Dlink with 2 free cards, the next month its Netgear etc....