Frequent Disconnections

Old July 28th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Frequent Disconnections

I am with BT Broadband and have been experiencing frequent disconnections
on BT Broadband.I am using Windows 98 and have a Speedtouch external modem.
version 1.6 and also 1.7 BT have been up to me three time and the
engineer says the line iis fine.I have tried my laptop in the same ext
point with the same failing of the line.Has anyone any idea what may be the
cause of the problem

Many thanks

Old July 28th 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:56:09 +0100, "Ken" wrote:

I am with BT Broadband and have been experiencing frequent disconnections
on BT Broadband.I am using Windows 98 and have a Speedtouch external modem.
version 1.6 and also 1.7 BT have been up to me three time and the
engineer says the line iis fine.I have tried my laptop in the same ext
point with the same failing of the line.Has anyone any idea what may be the
cause of the problem

Filters, Digibox, Windows 98, etc. - are all potential problems. What
exactly have you tested and how?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old July 29th 04, 02:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:56:09 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband,
"Ken" wrote:

I am using Windows 98 and have a Speedtouch external modem.

Have you anyone who can lend you a cheap router ? I found I had
my ADSL connection failing frequently when I used the Alcatel USB
unit 2 years ago. I bought a DabsValue router (90 quid back then
but about 50 now for a 4-port) and have subsequently bought a few
more (AR11, AR41 from Ebuyer, and another DabsValue on Ebay as my
spare) each at under 40 quid. A router will usually stay on-line
even when your PC is off (your PC needs an ethernet card but they
can be had for under a fiver) and will act to block many incoming
packets from hackers, too. I would thoroughly recommend getting
something other than a USB ADSL modem if you have a chance. PGM

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension