Line tests

Old July 29th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anth

Default Line tests

Applied for 2meg connection (after the BT checker said it was possible)
BT came back after the tests to say neither 1 or 2 meg is possible
ISP asked would I like to try for 512 (to which I've obviously said yes)

Will BT have already checked that 512 is possible or do they usually have to
go through the line checks all over again?

Thanks

Anth

Old July 30th 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:47:55 +0100, "anth"
wrote:

Applied for 2meg connection (after the BT checker said it was possible)
BT came back after the tests to say neither 1 or 2 meg is possible
ISP asked would I like to try for 512 (to which I've obviously said yes)

Will BT have already checked that 512 is possible or do they usually have to
go through the line checks all over again?

Thanks

Anth

The various speeds of broadband which are available seem to be
somethign of a lottery. The BT website tells me that I am able to
have only 512kb connection so in good faith I ordered and have been
using it for nearly a year.

The BT website tells my friend up the road he can only have 512kb so
he ordered 1mb - and got it!

As is frequently discussed on this group, BT have set a tolerance for
what line loss they are prepared to provide the different connection
speeds to. They basically provide the service to anyone they think is
easily going to get it without doing any REAL checks. Anyone who they
think might be borderline they check.

According to the current limit the maximum attenuation for 1mb is 45dB
and, as my router shows my line as 50dB I am over the limit so the
website is correct. We have no means of measuring it on my friend's
line.

However, as you may also have read, BT are currently running trials in
Milton Keynes to see how well broadband can be provided on lines with
a greater loss than currently allowed. I am personally hoping that
the 1mb limit will be raised but since they are concentrating on 512kb
limits higher speeds may be treated as something of an afterthought.
Old July 30th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 30 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Simon Pleasants wrote:

We have no means of measuring it on my friend's line.

take your router to his line :-)

At least if there's any error in measurement on the router it would
aply to both lines, so comparison between the lines would be valid.

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension
Old August 3rd 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:38:16 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 30 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Simon Pleasants wrote:

We have no means of measuring it on my friend's line.

take your router to his line :-)

Has been considered but the lazy ******* in me cannot be bothered
disturbing it all and wandering up the road with it.

Besides, I got a text message from the smarmy git to say he's lying by
the pool at my favourite haunt in Cairns (Queensland) and how nice it
was. I was supposed to be there myself (again) next month but had to
cancel so I have not decided whether or not I am still talking to him
:-)

At least if there's any error in measurement on the router it would
aply to both lines, so comparison between the lines would be valid.

When he comes back, if he comes back, and if I am still talking to
him, I'll have a wander round then I suppose.