Virgin £24.99 broadband with £9.99 modem...

Old July 30th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

Default Virgin £24.99 broadband with £9.99 modem...

- but how / where do you get the broadband modem from?

Old July 30th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:57:31 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband,
"nospam" wrote:

- but how / where do you get the broadband modem from?

From the Virgin.net website (following link on 24.99 and then
reading the first paragraph under the heading Broadband (centre)

"Unlike our competitors, we won't ask you to sign a 12 month contract
when you join Virgin.net Broadband. We'll simply give you broadband
Internet access for £24.99 a month, free line activation and for a
limited time, our optional broadband Starter Kit (including modem)
is only £9.99. "

So "... our optional broadband Starter Kit ... is only 9.99" means
you buy it from from Virgin.net, OK ? Peter M

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension
Old July 30th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Ingason

"nospam" wrote in message
.. .
- but how / where do you get the broadband modem from?

I imagine that they will send it to you like most of the other ISPs that
bundle hardware.

FYI, bulldog are offering 512 broadband with a free modem for £20 a month
now so why go with Virgin?

--
Peter

Old July 30th 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter Ingason" wrote in message

FYI, bulldog are offering 512 broadband with a free modem for £20 a
month now so why go with Virgin?

Different minimum contract terms I imagine.

Bulldog is a standard 12 months (though you can choose/pay for less)

Virgin has a one month contract as standard.

Of course, if anyone does want to join Bulldog, I have a referral code
somewhere..

Regards
Sunil

Old July 30th 04, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

I imagine that they will send it to you like most of the other ISPs that
bundle hardware.

FYI, bulldog are offering 512 broadband with a free modem for £20 a month
now so why go with Virgin?

Thanks for the info...but I've never heard of Bulldog, so why should I go
with them?!

I read somewhere during the broadband spiel on the virgin website that they
offer you the modem for £9.99 from their partner Tomson or something like it
and they would give more details later on in the online sign-up process - I
just wondered who they are and how reliable are they if they were to send me
a modem that's all - I rather go to dixons or somthing and pay £9.99 and get
it there and them. This is the internet age afterall...even going to a shop
is bad enough!

Old July 30th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"nospam" wrote in message

I imagine that they will send it to you like most of the other ISPs
that bundle hardware.

FYI, bulldog are offering 512 broadband with a free modem for £20 a
month now so why go with Virgin?

Thanks for the info...but I've never heard of Bulldog, so why should
I go with them?!

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/ - now owned by Cable and Wireless.

They have tended to offer some very good deals - especially if you live in
Central London

I read somewhere during the broadband spiel on the virgin website
that they offer you the modem for £9.99 from their partner Tomson or
something like it and they would give more details later on in the
online sign-up process - I just wondered who they are and how
reliable are they if they were to send me a modem that's all - I
rather go to dixons or somthing and pay £9.99 and get it there and
them. This is the internet age afterall...even going to a shop is bad
enough!

Alcatel/Thomson are the manufacturer of the USB "SpeedTouch" modem Virgin
supply

If buying it from elsewhere, its likely to cost you more than £9.99

Regards
Sunil

Old July 31st 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:15:31 +0100, nospam wrote:

I read somewhere during the broadband spiel on the virgin website that they
offer you the modem for £9.99 from their partner Tomson or something like it
and they would give more details later on in the online sign-up process - I
just wondered who they are and how reliable are they if they were to send me
a modem that's all

you order and pay for the modem in a separate transaction later on in the
online signup process. it's charged separately from the adsl account and
the modem gets sent out to you. i got mine a few days after signing up -
and certainly well before the activation date. the invoice with the modem
i got is from "net lynk direct" in birmingham (whoever they are!).

i wouldn't describe myself as a big virgin fan, but i found the whole
process - and the adsl service so far - pretty good. and i reckon 9.99 is
a pretty damn good deal for a speedtouch modem delivered to your door.

(and, no, i don't work for virgin! ;-)

will

Old August 2nd 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

you order and pay for the modem in a separate transaction later on in the
online signup process. it's charged separately from the adsl account and
the modem gets sent out to you. i got mine a few days after signing up -
and certainly well before the activation date. the invoice with the modem
i got is from "net lynk direct" in birmingham (whoever they are!).

i wouldn't describe myself as a big virgin fan, but i found the whole
process - and the adsl service so far - pretty good. and i reckon 9.99 is
a pretty damn good deal for a speedtouch modem delivered to your door.

(and, no, i don't work for virgin! ;-)

Thanks for the great info - do you get the option to have the modem
delivered to a work address, since I guess the modem is quite bulky and you
probably have to sign for it?

Old August 3rd 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:32:11 +0100, nospam wrote:

Thanks for the great info - do you get the option to have the modem
delivered to a work address, since I guess the modem is quite bulky and you
probably have to sign for it?

ummm.... don't remember! but i think i probably had to provide a name and
address for the modem delivery separately, so that's probably a "yes".

will