Windows ME and NIC

Old July 30th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

Default Windows ME and NIC

I'm trying to set up a Toshiba Satellite (Windows ME) laptop with NTL
Broadband. However having failed with the USB connection to the cable modem
(unable to obtain IP address with DHCP), I was advised (by NTL support) to
install an ethernet card, which I have done (3com Lan PC Card PCMCIA), this
still fails to obtain an IP address.

IPCONFIG reports:

0 Ethernet Adaptor
IP Address 0
Subnet 0
Default Gateway 0

It appears, to me, that the PC is not making a link with the NIC - any ideas
gratefully received. The suggestion, by NTL support, that I reinstal ME
isn't favoured yet...

Peter

Old July 30th 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Peter Andrews wrote:

I'm trying to set up a Toshiba Satellite (Windows ME) laptop with NTL
Broadband. However having failed with the USB connection to the cable modem
(unable to obtain IP address with DHCP), I was advised (by NTL support) to
install an ethernet card, which I have done (3com Lan PC Card PCMCIA), this
still fails to obtain an IP address.

IPCONFIG reports:

0 Ethernet Adaptor
IP Address 0
Subnet 0

It appears, to me, that the PC is not making a link with the NIC - any ideas
gratefully received. The suggestion, by NTL support, that I reinstal ME
isn't favoured yet...

I've found in the past that some 3-com ethernet cards do not work with
some kinds of other equipment. Suprisingly it's often 3-com switches ~P

I'd favour Xircom Cardbus ethernet modules, they are the only ones I
ever purchase now.

Have you tried setting your network up manually? Give it the same subnet
as your router or cable modem and see if you can ping it. If you can't
do that you're not going to get much further.

Peter