bt basic

Old July 30th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert

Default bt basic

hi all,

i have just finished at uni, where i was used to a 10mbit connection, so as
u can imagine we downloaded films non stop. ive finished now tho and am back
to my broadband at home - zen, 512kbs, no limits, 27 a month. i dont use it
to download any more though, just to provide good, fast internet access for
browsing and email accross my wireless network.

therefore i am considering changing to BT's 19.99 basic broadband, 512kbs
but 1GB limit before extra charges, which is fine.

one problem: it says on their site he
http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp that the basic broadband can only be
used on one pc. as i wont be physically splitting the signal but sharing it
with XP on my network, can i get around this. are they just trying to get
people to get the more expensive version???

thanks

robert

ps. are bt generally good for broadband, my reason for change is to merge my
home fone, mobile and internet into one bill, get a decent email address now
my uni one has expired and zen gives rubbish random numbers, and have an
always on connection that doesnt need to be dialled.thanks again

Old July 31st 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Robert wrote:

[...]

The general consensus in this NG is that BT Broadband is to be avoided like
the plague!

There are plenty of other suppliers providing equivalent or better services
for much less money. For example, PlusNet's 512k 1GB per month service costs
14.99 compared with BT's 19.99
[This won't give you one bill for everything - but what's that worth? I'm
not sure you'd get that from BT anyway, because I think BT Broadband is a
separate company from the bit that provides the line].

You can *certainly* share this connection between a number of PCs if you
have a wired or wireless router, without contravening any of PlusNet's T's &
C's (although they don't specifically *support* it). It's precisely what I'm
doing as I write this! [I don't see why you can't do the same with BT if you
really want to, because a router will present itself to the line as a single
device with a single IP address - and will use NAT to share that address
across your LAN. It may or may not contravene BT's T's & C's - I don't know]

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 31st 04, 07:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

ps. are bt generally good for broadband, my reason for change is to merge my
home fone, mobile and internet into one bill, get a decent email address now
my uni one has expired and zen gives rubbish random numbers, and have an
always on connection that doesnt need to be dialled.thanks again

You have'nt looked at previous threads on here then ?

www.adslguide.org

Dave

Old July 31st 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 30 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Robert" wrote:

are bt generally good for broadband,

depends whether you are happy to pay premium rate for tech support
(if needed)... they might simplify billing a little, but even the
extra GB penalties are higher than others. If you hit high levels
you could pay as much as 12 pounds while PlusNet charges 21.99 for
their uncapped Premier account, and 19.99 would cover you for 4 GB
I think... so if you are sure it will be a lower usage level, the
cheaper option might be with some other ISP...

get a decent email address now my uni one has expired and
zen gives rubbish random numbers,

Get your own domain, so you can switch ISP forever more with no
ties to their mail address... certainly works for me! Peter.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old July 31st 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonty

Robert wrote:
hi all,

i have just finished at uni, where i was used to a 10mbit connection,
so as u can imagine we downloaded films non stop.

As someone who works for a University who transfers legitimate research data
over the JANET network (which Loughborough University is part of) and pays
for broadband at home myself so that I can read a few newsgroups in my own
time, I find this sort of thing very very irritating, as it only takes a
irresponsible (yes it is I'm sorry to say mostly students) few to jeopardise
the whole network, albeit indirectly. I hope that now you've graduated and
start to pay for things yourself you'll grow up and act more responsibly in
the future

Jon

Old August 1st 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert

thanks for the advice, i am very confident i wont be needing more than 1GB -
but to have 4GB allowance would be good for comfort. i will check out the
adsl guide site.

Old August 1st 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonty

Robert wrote:
sorry jonty i think you misunderstood, we tranferred files internally.

robert

Indeed I had - apologies for seeing red mist!!

BT Basic will be very good, and if it suits your requirements then go for
it, however I suspect that you may have a problem with using it on a
network, but this could be overcome by buying a dedicated router (I got the
cheapest 4 port one from Dabs around 30) which usually allows you to spoof
the MAC address.

But there are other alternatives, I was on pipex for 2 years which had been
rock solid (only ever had one outage for 1/2 day), thus for 23.44 you could
download till your hearts content. More recently due to our usage (always
less than 1Gb / months) we switched to plus.net (1Gb cap, 1.50 extra Gb) at
14.99, again its been rock solid so far. I think that both these accounts
allow networking, P2P etc. I guess the problem with plus.net is that you
have to pay the activation fee and get your own modem / router.

The good thing about ADSL is that their is competition so each year if you
wished you could migrate to another provider (usually for free), thus I'd
suggest that you get a fixed email address, I have my own domain which costs
around 3 a year to service and use that for my email, alternatively you
could get a free one (and hope that the company stays around!!), I've got
one with uk2.net (which allows pop3 downloading) which over the past 5 years
has been fine.

Hope this helps
Jon

Old August 1st 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Robert" wrote in message

thanks for the advice, i am very confident i wont be needing more than

1GB -
but to have 4GB allowance would be good for comfort. i will check out the
adsl guide site.

If you are such a light user you may also want to have a look at Metronet's
range..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 1st 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ed

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message

thanks for the advice, i am very confident i wont be needing more
than 1GB - but to have 4GB allowance would be good for comfort. i
will check out the adsl guide site.

If you are such a light user you may also want to have a look at
Metronet's range..

Regards
Sunil

They have a decent service and they have just had a network upgrade and
reduction in prices.

http://metronet.co.uk/adsl/paygo

Remeber to add VAT to the prices.

ed