Connection options

Old July 30th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Kitchen

Default Connection options

OK I'm currently on a standard dial up connection and thinking of making the
broadband leap. I'm a bit confused as to the connection options.

At the moment I have my dial up modem plugged into an extension lead which
leads from one upstairs room into another, ie the male end of the extension
is plugged into upstairs extension bt socket, then the male and of the
modem lead plugs into the female part of the extension socket( with me so
far)!! the run from the BT socket to the pc is about 25metres.

These probably seem pretty obvious questions to the Techies he

Does the cable for the broadband modem have to connect directly into the
"main" Bt phone socket or could it be used on an extension? ie the problem I
have is there is no phone point in the room the pc's in at the moment.
I suppose 'im asking would the broadband modem work on an extension or is
that a no go?

What are the options with this, the guy at PC world seemed cluless.

Any advice or options appreciated.

Tony

Old July 31st 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Does the cable for the broadband modem have to connect directly into the
"main" Bt phone socket or could it be used on an extension?

Shouldn`t cause a problem unless the cable is damaged afaik

Old July 31st 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Tony Kitchen wrote:
OK I'm currently on a standard dial up connection and thinking of
making the broadband leap. I'm a bit confused as to the connection
options.

snip
Does the cable for the broadband modem have to connect directly into
the "main" Bt phone socket or could it be used on an extension? ie
the problem I have is there is no phone point in the room the pc's in
at the moment.
I suppose 'im asking would the broadband modem work on an extension
or is that a no go?

Yes, it will work, as long as the extension doesn't significantly increase
the noise or cause signal loss.

the guy at PC world seemed cluless.

What did you expect?

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old July 31st 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tony Kitchen wrote:

[...]

Your ADSL modem doesn't haven't to be plugged into the master socket - it
can plug into an extension socket as long as all analog devices (phones,
faxes, analog modems etc.) are connected via micro-filters.

I would caution against using a flexible phone extension cable though -
since this may well not be constructed of twisted pair cables, and ADSL may
not work with it. Far better to get a permanently wired-in extension socket
using proper telephone cable.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 31st 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tony Kitchen wrote:

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message

Your ADSL modem doesn't haven't to be plugged into the master socket
- it can plug into an extension socket as long as all analog devices
(phones, faxes, analog modems etc.) are connected via micro-filters.

I would caution against using a flexible phone extension cable
though - since this may well not be constructed of twisted pair
cables, and ADSL may not work with it. Far better to get a
permanently wired-in extension socket using proper telephone cable.
--
Cheers,
Tim
______

Thanks Tim
A little clearer

An even better option would be to use a modified filtered master faceplate
from Clarity (See http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm )
and wire a digital extension for your ADSL connection into the back of it.
That way, you wouldn't need filters on any other sockets.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 1st 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bell

Tony Kitchen wrote:

OK I'm currently on a standard dial up connection and thinking of making
the broadband leap. I'm a bit confused as to the connection options.

At the moment I have my dial up modem plugged into an extension lead which
leads from one upstairs room into another, ie the male end of the
extension
is plugged into upstairs extension bt socket, then the male and of the
modem lead plugs into the female part of the extension socket( with me so
far)!! the run from the BT socket to the pc is about 25metres.

These probably seem pretty obvious questions to the Techies he

Does the cable for the broadband modem have to connect directly into the
"main" Bt phone socket

No.

or could it be used on an extension?

Yes.

ie the problem
I have is there is no phone point in the room the pc's in at the moment.
I suppose 'im asking would the broadband modem work on an extension or is
that a no go?

What are the options with this, the guy at PC world seemed cluless.

I have a similar problem. You will probably need to get an ADSL router to
connect the ADSL line to your PC. So I got a wireless one and added a
wireless card to my PC. The router sits right next to a phone socket and I
can put my PC anywhere I like in the house.

Ian