Best ISP for 2 PCs connection

Old July 31st 04, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

Default Best ISP for 2 PCs connection

Which ISPs will allow me to connect 2 non-networked PCs to ADSL via a
router/modem using self-install? I see that Plusnet is recommended by many
for its service but its wesite suggests that I could not do that.

I could achieve what I want with Claranet but how do you rate their service
compared to competitors?

TIA,
Terry
Old July 31st 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Terry" wrote in message
Which ISPs will allow me to connect 2 non-networked PCs to ADSL via a
router/modem using self-install? I see that Plusnet is recommended by many
for its service but its wesite suggests that I could not do that.

I could achieve what I want with Claranet but how do you rate their

service
compared to competitors?

You can't connect two non-networked PCs to an ADSL line.

You can however plug two or more PCs into a router that is on
an ADSL line - though of course the PCs become networked at
the moment that you plug them into the router.

This will work with every ISP.

Old July 31st 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Alastair wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
Which ISPs will allow me to connect 2 non-networked PCs to ADSL via a
router/modem using self-install? I see that Plusnet is recommended
by many for its service but its wesite suggests that I could not do
that.

I could achieve what I want with Claranet but how do you rate their
service compared to competitors?

You can't connect two non-networked PCs to an ADSL line.

You can however plug two or more PCs into a router that is on
an ADSL line - though of course the PCs become networked at
the moment that you plug them into the router.

This will work with every ISP.

This is true. However, if you wish to keep the PCs private you can disable
File & Print Sharing (if it is currently enabled). The PCs will still be
able to share the internet connection - but won't be able to see each other,
even though they are technically "networked".

You can certainly share a PlusNet connection using a router - that's
precisely what I'm doing as I type this! There seems to be some confusion
stemming from the fact that PlusNet don't officially *support* shared
connections on their 512kbps service - so it's down to the user, and don't
ring them if you can't make it work - but it definitely *does* work.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 31st 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

PlusNet don't officially *support* shared connections on their
512kbps service

I'd be quite surprised if that was the case, as one can surely buy a
router from them (OK, there are other suppliers which might be lower
cost, but it is possible and they are not demanding anyone buys from
them). Perhaps they could do with offering prospective users easier
ways to see their terms of service, AUP or whatever, because it is a
thing one should read at leisure, without having it pop-up as a tick
box during signup, IMO. I found their FAQ web page which shows they
accept multi-system networking on the 4-port router and that is just
one purchase option even for the 512 Kbps service :-) See item 8:
http://www.plus.net/support/faq/broadband_home_faq.shtml

Peter M

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old July 31st 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

poster wrote:

On 31 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

PlusNet don't officially *support* shared connections on their
512kbps service

I'd be quite surprised if that was the case, as one can surely buy a
router from them (OK, there are other suppliers which might be lower
cost, but it is possible and they are not demanding anyone buys from
them). Perhaps they could do with offering prospective users easier
ways to see their terms of service, AUP or whatever, because it is a
thing one should read at leisure, without having it pop-up as a tick
box during signup, IMO. I found their FAQ web page which shows they
accept multi-system networking on the 4-port router and that is just
one purchase option even for the 512 Kbps service :-) See item 8:
http://www.plus.net/support/faq/broadband_home_faq.shtml

Peter M

It might have changed, but it certainly had used to be the case that the
512k service was described as "suitable for a single computer connection"
and you didn't get the option to buy a router from them unless opting for a
faster service. I'm sure I've seen replies from their support staff stating
that they didn't support sharing on 512k - but that customers were at
liberty to provide their own router if they knew what they were doing.

But that was a little while ago - and may have changed with the re-jigged
service offerings.

Anyway, supported or not, let me re-iterate for the benefit of the OP that
it *does* work - without any problems.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 31st 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Markus G. Klötzer

poster wrote:

On 31 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

PlusNet don't officially *support* shared connections on their
512kbps service

I found their FAQ web page which shows they
accept multi-system networking on the 4-port router and that is just
one purchase option even for the 512 Kbps service :-) See item 8:
http://www.plus.net/support/faq/broadband_home_faq.shtml

i would say that support & accept is not the same thing

Friend of mine wants an AOL connection. No way am I going to support
that. But I will accept it when he does

cu

mgk
--
"The first ten million years were the worst,
and the second ten million, they were the worst too.
Old July 31st 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 07:54:47 +0100, Terry wrote:

Which ISPs will allow me to connect 2 non-networked PCs to ADSL via a
router/modem using self-install? I see that Plusnet is recommended by many
for its service but its wesite suggests that I could not do that.

I could achieve what I want with Claranet but how do you rate their service
compared to competitors?

TIA,
Terry

Hi there,

I can confirm that you can network multiple machines on _all_ of our ADSL
accounts both technically and without breaching any Acceptable Use Policy.

The support team however would not be able to provide in depth assistance
in setting up and managing your local network. If you enable DHCP on your
router however (and many models run it by default) then you should find
this relatively straight forward anyway.

Regards,

--

+ ----
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---+