Plusnet 2mb

Old August 1st 04, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Default Plusnet 2mb

Hi,

Has anyone got any experiences or views of Plusnet's Broadband Home 2MB with
unlimited downloads for 39.99?

Thanks

Jon

Btw - thanks for suggestions of the Netgear DG834 router. Bought it and
working sweet!

Old August 1st 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

"Jon" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Has anyone got any experiences or views of Plusnet's Broadband Home 2MB

with
unlimited downloads for 39.99?

Thanks

Jon

Btw - thanks for suggestions of the Netgear DG834 router. Bought it and
working sweet!

Thats what I use and no problems at all. News Servers were a bit flakey for
a while but up to speed again now.
I seem to get between 185-190kbs downloads from fast sites - not sure if
this is good or bad however!
Otherwise it does just what is says on the tin! I would have no hesitation
in recommending PlusNet or the 2mb service

Old August 1st 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

"Kimball K Kinnison" wrote in message
I seem to get between 185-190kbs downloads from fast sites - not sure if
this is good or bad however!

That seems slow for a 2Mbit service. I max out my 1Mbit connection at
120kB/sec. For 2Mbit, the figures I'm used to seeing (and would expect from
mine when it comes on Wednesday) are 230+ kB/sec.

---

Old August 1st 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

"Gari P" wrote in message
"Kimball K Kinnison" wrote in message
I seem to get between 185-190kbs downloads from fast sites - not sure if
this is good or bad however!

That seems slow for a 2Mbit service. I max out my 1Mbit connection at
120kB/sec. For 2Mbit, the figures I'm used to seeing (and would expect

from
mine when it comes on Wednesday) are 230+ kB/sec.

---

You are quite correct!

Just went to the PlusNet Bandwith Test - it reports

"Which means you can download at 231.24 KB/sec. from our servers."

Old August 1st 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

"Gari P" wrote in message
"Kimball K Kinnison" wrote in message
I seem to get between 185-190kbs downloads from fast sites - not sure

if
this is good or bad however!

That seems slow for a 2Mbit service. I max out my 1Mbit connection at
120kB/sec. For 2Mbit, the figures I'm used to seeing (and would expect

from
mine when it comes on Wednesday) are 230+ kB/sec.

You are quite correct!

Just went to the PlusNet Bandwith Test - it reports

"Which means you can download at 231.24 KB/sec. from our servers."

That's much more like it. I would also try a few speedtests from known fast
sites outside of Plusnets' network. Try d/l a large file from a good FTP
server and see what you get. Have you tweaked your MTU / RWIN settings? ....
that can sometimes add a few kB's to your d/l speed.

---

Old August 1st 04, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred bloggs

"Gari P" wrote in message
[...]

Hi there, I am on the 2M home worker and get a consistent 240'ish
kbytes/sec. Set RWIN to 63272, and MTU to 1478. (use DrTCP). This equates
to about 1.92Mbps which is the max you can squeeze out of a 2M connection