'Going for it' with PIPEX but just how good are their newsgroup coverage?

Old August 1st 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news.ntlworld.com

Default 'Going for it' with PIPEX but just how good are their newsgroup coverage?

I noticed (just before I was going to sign up), that they state
access to over 35,000 newsgroups. As there are upwards
of 60,000 groups, do they have the usual binaries groups
or just text based ones?

PS. I know 60,000 is over 35,000.

Old August 1st 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

news.ntlworld.com wrote:
I noticed (just before I was going to sign up), that they state
access to over 35,000 newsgroups. As there are upwards
of 60,000 groups, do they have the usual binaries groups
or just text based ones?

PS. I know 60,000 is over 35,000.

I'm using the text one, the other is rubbish
Old August 1st 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote:

I noticed (just before I was going to sign up), that they state
access to over 35,000 newsgroups. As there are upwards
of 60,000 groups, do they have the usual binaries groups
or just text based ones?

PS. I know 60,000 is over 35,000.

pipex provide a text only server with good performance and a full server
which carries a large range of binary groups. The full server has good
completion and moderate retention but has been grossly overloaded for many
months.

pipex acknowledge the problem

http://www.pipex.net/cgi-bin/nsus-di...X§ion=News

but no one thinks they are really going to fix it any time soon.

If troughing usenet binaries is important to you pipex is currently not a
good choice of ISP.

Old August 1st 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
G3£wh\)[email protected]

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message
I noticed (just before I was going to sign up), that they state
access to over 35,000 newsgroups. As there are upwards
of 60,000 groups, do they have the usual binaries groups
or just text based ones?

PS. I know 60,000 is over 35,000.

Get a uncensored newsserver and you will find that 60,000 is
nothing.....over 120,000 newsgroups out there...shame most are not available
in the uk.

Old August 1st 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"nospam" wrote

If troughing usenet binaries is important to you pipex is currently not a
good choice of ISP.

Have to agree unless you have unlimited time waiting for something to happen
then Pipex is the wrong choice.

Old August 2nd 04, 03:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

"G3£wh\)[email protected]" wrote:

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message
I noticed (just before I was going to sign up), that they state
access to over 35,000 newsgroups. As there are upwards
of 60,000 groups, do they have the usual binaries groups
or just text based ones?

PS. I know 60,000 is over 35,000.

Get a uncensored newsserver and you will find that 60,000 is
nothing.....over 120,000 newsgroups out there...shame most are not available
in the uk.

It has little to do with censorship.There are only around 30,000 active
groups. Even the limited selection from the pipex text server includes
essentials like

ont.personals.whips.and.rubber.chickens
fj.rec.rubber-duckie
alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
airnews.alt.paranoia.black.helicopters
alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.c heerslove
alt.adopt.latvian.babies
alt.babs.bunny.boink.boink
alt.b.moylan.needle.prick.the.bug-****er
alt.base-jumping.sheep.bounce.bounce.bounce

Need I go on? Any idiot can create a usenet group and about 90,000 of them
did.

Old August 2nd 04, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
G3£wh\)[email protected]

But if you are given the choice that is better surely even if most are junk,
you are free to do as you choose as long its from the choice we give you...

Old August 2nd 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

news.ntlworld.com wrote:
I noticed (just before I was going to sign up), that they state
access to over 35,000 newsgroups. As there are upwards
of 60,000 groups, do they have the usual binaries groups
or just text based ones?

PS. I know 60,000 is over 35,000.

I'm using Pipex without newsgroup access for £17.99 at 256k unlimited usage.
Paid $10 for 25GB of anytime download at astraweb as a cheaper and better
alternative to upgrading to 512k at £23 a month. Depends which Pipex package
you are going for, how much you need binaries and what other decent tarrifs
are available with good binary access - I couldn't find anything to suit my
needs except this.