What's Webmail and IMAP, please

Old August 1st 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Laine

Default What's Webmail and IMAP, please

Looking at all the details my ISP gives me to set up, I normally use
the smtp and pop servers. They also quote Webmail and IMAP. I have
googled for these and a simple explanation for a simple lad does not
simply appear. I would be most grateful if someone can simply increase
my knowledge without getting too technical.
TIA
Mike
Old August 1st 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Mike Laine wrote:

Looking at all the details my ISP gives me to set up, I normally use
the smtp and pop servers. They also quote Webmail and IMAP. I have
googled for these and a simple explanation for a simple lad does not
simply appear. I would be most grateful if someone can simply increase
my knowledge without getting too technical.
TIA
Mike

IMAP is serverside email, where everything is stored at the server end
(ISP). You need a client capable of dealing with IMAP (Mozilla
Thunderbird for example). Basically, the client requests the messages,
and sends delete, move commands etc...

Webmail is a web interface to your mailbox, think of Hotmail for YOUR
inbox...

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old August 1st 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:16:23 +0100, Mike Laine wrote:

Looking at all the details my ISP gives me to set up, I normally use
the smtp and pop servers. They also quote Webmail and IMAP. I have
googled for these and a simple explanation for a simple lad does not
simply appear. I would be most grateful if someone can simply increase
my knowledge without getting too technical.
TIA
Mike

Well further to the other guys excellent post, if you want it simpler
IMAP = Good Webmail = Crap

Dave

Old August 1st 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 01 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Dave Stanton wrote:

if you want it simpler IMAP = Good Webmail = Crap

of course you are welcome to your opinion, but webmail can be fine for many
users, depending on their requirements, and I use the webmail facility on
some of my hosting accounts (NeoMail, Horde, or SquirrelMail) and a few
commercial services, including allowances of up to 2 GB of mail, at no
cost, or low cost. Peter M.

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension
Old August 2nd 04, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

poster wrote:
On 01 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Dave Stanton wrote:

if you want it simpler IMAP = Good Webmail = Crap

of course you are welcome to your opinion, but webmail can be fine for many
users, depending on their requirements, and I use the webmail facility on
some of my hosting accounts (NeoMail, Horde, or SquirrelMail) and a few
commercial services, including allowances of up to 2 GB of mail, at no
cost, or low cost. Peter M.

Of course, IMAP and Webmail work well together. Being away from home
for example, and being able to view all your new email, aswell as all
your existing email and requiring nothing more that a internet
connection and a web browser is sometimes invaluable...

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old August 2nd 04, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

Dave Stanton wrote:
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:16:23 +0100, Mike Laine wrote:

Looking at all the details my ISP gives me to set up, I normally use
the smtp and pop servers. They also quote Webmail and IMAP. I have
googled for these and a simple explanation for a simple lad does not
simply appear. I would be most grateful if someone can simply increase
my knowledge without getting too technical.
TIA
Mike

Well further to the other guys excellent post, if you want it simpler
IMAP = Good Webmail = Crap

Dave

lol, good explaination!!!
Old August 2nd 04, 06:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

of course you are welcome to your opinion, but webmail can be fine for many
users, depending on their requirements, and I use the webmail facility on
some of my hosting accounts (NeoMail, Horde, or SquirrelMail) and a few
commercial services, including allowances of up to 2 GB of mail, at no
cost, or low cost. Peter M.

You pays your money and.....

Dave

Old August 2nd 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 02 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Dave Stanton wrote:

NeoMail, Horde, or SquirrelMail) and a few commercial services,
including allowances of up to 2 GB of mail, at no cost, or low cost.

You pays your money and.....

In some cases, there's no fee. In the case of hosting, it is common for
one or more webmail facilities being included, for no additional cost,
and we're not talking annual fees that break the bank. You've given
no real justification for describing webmail as 'crap', AFAICS. Peter.

Old August 2nd 04, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

In some cases, there's no fee. In the case of hosting, it is common for
one or more webmail facilities being included, for no additional cost,
and we're not talking annual fees that break the bank. You've given
no real justification for describing webmail as 'crap', AFAICS. Peter.

I don't need to. As the other guy said I am entitled to my opinion.
You pay's your money... is just a saying.
Jeeees, people, lighten up.

Dave

Old August 2nd 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 02 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Dave Stanton wrote:

I don't need to.

OK, no problem. Most people follow up some view with a little of
their reasoning, most of the time, and those who make a sweeping
statement but give no reasons, are rare, in my experience.

As the other guy said I am entitled to my opinion.

That was also me, perhaps ? Peter M.

--
TalkTalk for free calls to other TT customers...
Reductions on calls to up to 3 mobile numbers...