Home web-server problems

Old August 2nd 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bjorn

Default Home web-server problems

Hi group!

Yet another home HTTP server thread
I've read just about every thread realting to this and still can't get
it to work.

1. I'm using Pipex Solo 250 with dynamic ip + Mentor Wireless ADSL
router (from http://www.refreshcomputers.com).

2. I've got Apache running on my server on port 80.

3. I can access my web server from any pc on the LAN.

4. I can't access my webserver from my work PC or from my dial-up
account.

5. What I've done:

I know my ip address even though it's dynamic so that's no problem -
it only changes when I re-connect to my isp. I've tried using
www.no-ip.com too, but makes no difference.

I have got the router setup to forward port 80 to the ip of my
webserver which has a fixed ip address (I have turned off DHCP). I
have even made the webserver a DMZ. I tried site-up
http://www.psi-rho.com/dsltools/siteup.php to check my webserver and
it says that port 80 is blocked.

I contacted Pipex and no ports are blocked on the Solo 250 service.

A few questions.

I'm using NAT - this shouldn't be an issue, but I'm doubting
everything now as I've been trying to get this to work for the last
two weeks!

I'm a bit unsure as to one of the ip addresses. I get to my router's
admin pages by it's ip address (10.0.0.2) and my webserver is on
10.0.0.11
My isp-assigned ip is in the range 81.178.x.x and I can find this out
from the router. Now, I'm unsure as to one ip address that the router
has. On the ADSL config page, it says I've got a static ip address of
192.168.0.2 - WTF? This is not my isp-assigned ip or any of the PCs on
the lan or the router (which is 10.0.0.2), so what could it be? Does
the router have two ip-addresses? Do I have to forward port 80 on to
this 192.168.0.2 address as well as the web-server (10.0.0.11)?

Oh yeah - the router uses the Conexant firmware.
I've tried various settings that people have suggested but it just
won't work.

Confused!

I'm wondering whether to upgrade my router firmware, I can't open a
block of ports - just individual ones or a DMZ. The only other thing
it could be is that the ip address that the router says the isp has
assigned to me is wrong?!

This is going to be difficult - if my company's IT department and
Pipex support can't work it out, then what chance have I got!

Cheers for any help - A beer for the person who solves this crazy
puzzle.
Old August 2nd 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

Bjorn wrote:

I have got the router setup to forward port 80 to the ip of my
webserver which has a fixed ip address (I have turned off DHCP). I
have even made the webserver a DMZ. I tried site-up
http://www.psi-rho.com/dsltools/siteup.php to check my webserver and
it says that port 80 is blocked.

I contacted Pipex and no ports are blocked on the Solo 250 service.

Some of the Connexant routers have http protocol restricted to LAN by
default - look at Miscellaneous or Virtual Servers page in the router setup.

--
JP
Old August 3rd 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bjorn

John Philip wrote in message ...
Bjorn wrote:

I have got the router setup to forward port 80 to the ip of my
webserver which has a fixed ip address (I have turned off DHCP). I
have even made the webserver a DMZ. I tried site-up
http://www.psi-rho.com/dsltools/siteup.php to check my webserver and
it says that port 80 is blocked.

I contacted Pipex and no ports are blocked on the Solo 250 service.

Some of the Connexant routers have http protocol restricted to LAN by
default - look at Miscellaneous or Virtual Servers page in the router setup.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought the LAN restriction was for the router's own http server
that is used for configuration - you don't really want to admin the
router from the WAN. Am I wrong? If so, I guess I'd need to set this
to WAN *and* set my port forwarding. Do you know what the http server
settings are on a Connexant?

Cheers
Old August 3rd 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

Bjorn wrote:

I have got the router setup to forward port 80 to the ip of my
webserver which has a fixed ip address (I have turned off DHCP). I
have even made the webserver a DMZ. I tried site-up
http://www.psi-rho.com/dsltools/siteup.php to check my webserver and
it says that port 80 is blocked.

I contacted Pipex and no ports are blocked on the Solo 250 service.

Some of the Connexant routers have http protocol restricted to LAN by
default - look at Miscellaneous or Virtual Servers page in the router setup.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought the LAN restriction was for the router's own http server
that is used for configuration - you don't really want to admin the
router from the WAN. Am I wrong? If so, I guess I'd need to set this
to WAN *and* set my port forwarding.

Thats my understanding of how it works - give it a try and see if it
opens up your webserver.

Do you know what the http server
settings are on a Connexant?

Not sure what settings you mean

--
JP
Old August 3rd 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bjorn

Do you know what the http server
settings are on a Connexant?

Not sure what settings you mean

On the 'misc' settings page, there are several settings for the http
server, such as whether it can be accessed from the LAN or WAN and
there's a port setting. I'm not sure what they all mean.
Old August 3rd 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

Bjorn wrote:
Do you know what the http server

settings are on a Connexant?

Not sure what settings you mean

On the 'misc' settings page, there are several settings for the http
server, such as whether it can be accessed from the LAN or WAN and
there's a port setting. I'm not sure what they all mean.

OK I have hust taken a Connexant router and set the Misc settings to

HTTP server Access = All
HTTP server port= 80

and Virtual Server forwarded port 80 TCP to port 80 on a (non-existant)
machine on the local network and I can still access the router
configuration settings from the local network. I cannot check if the
port forwarding is actually working since I dont have ADSL here. Port 80
is the standard port number for the HTTP protocol.

JP
Old August 4th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Bjorn wrote:

Do you know what the http server

settings are on a Connexant?

Not sure what settings you mean

On the 'misc' settings page, there are several settings for the http
server, such as whether it can be accessed from the LAN or WAN and
there's a port setting. I'm not sure what they all mean.

If your router has a Web-accessible config system (many do), try moving
THAT system to, say, port 8080 in thh router's setup (somewhere!) rather
than the default port 80 - this ensures that incoming http requests on
port 80 are clearly destined for your (NAT redirected) Web server rather
than being someone trying to access your router's config pages.

Hope this helps.
Old August 4th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bjorn

If your router has a Web-accessible config system (many do), try moving
THAT system to, say, port 8080 in thh router's setup (somewhere!) rather
than the default port 80 - this ensures that incoming http requests on
port 80 are clearly destined for your (NAT redirected) Web server rather
than being someone trying to access your router's config pages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. I tried putting the router config on 8080, but
still no joy. Last night I went for it and tried every combination of
settings for anything that seemed like it related to getting my HTTP
server accessible, but no luck. I can access my router's HTTP server
from work, so at least I know that requests are getting at least as
far as the router.

Are there any settings on my PC that might be blocking incoming
requests? I have no firewall installed and I turned off 'internet
firewall' - but there might be something else. Anyhow, I can access
the webserver from other pcs on my internal network.

I'm going to have to try out a direct ASDL connection to my pc to see
if it is the router and if so I'll get another router (and one that
has good support on the web, like a Netgear or Linksys).
Old August 4th 04, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 4 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Bjorn wrote:

Thanks for your help. I tried putting the router config on 8080, but
still no joy. Last night I went for it and tried every combination of
settings for anything that seemed like it related to getting my HTTP
server accessible, but no luck. I can access my router's HTTP server
from work, so at least I know that requests are getting at least as
far as the router.

So you are having no joy connecting to 10.0.0.11 on port 80 from the
outside, but can connect to the router from outside on port 8080 ?
(Just checking what is set to what so we all know what ports are
being forwarded and what's used for the control panel on router).

Are there any settings on my PC that might be blocking incoming
requests?

You do have the gateway set to 10.0.0.2 on the webserver PC ? I've
got my webserver on port 8000 rather than 80 and access it from the
internet but that was a choice of mine to reduce outside access (it
is only running when I want to share files/pages, too, so scans for
port 8000 would normally get no response anyway). I currently have
the webserver on a dynamic IP and my firewall restricts access to a
number of fixed IP addresses for my other ADSL connection, and home
or work users who need access now and then. Peter M.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 4th 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bjorn

Ok, I'm being rubbish here.

I can't access my webserver from other PCs on my network - I can't
even ping it! What's could the prolem be? I've disabled internet
connection firewall, but is there anything else I need to do?

Cheers!