Broadband newbie looking for advise

Old August 2nd 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newsgroup 2004®

Default Broadband newbie looking for advise

Hi,

Broadband has just gone live in my area.

I have the following base unit upstairs usb2, network capable, laptop
downstairs usb1 network via port replicator (usb) neither is wifi.

What's the best cost effective way to connect a broadband modem to allow
both to use the modem.

Would it be better to buy a combined modem / router or obtain the modem as
part of a deal with the isp? then the router separate.

I am thinking about NTL as the isp simply because I am a current customer
but are others better .

Any help, advise or recommendations would be appreciated as others will have
had a similar set up to manage

--
*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Anti spam address in use change "spamtrap" to "newsgroup2004"

---

Old August 3rd 04, 03:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

You can't have more then one computer connected to plain ADSLmodem.
You could share the connection using Windows ISC software, but the computer
connected to the modem has to be on.
Your best bet is to get ADSLmodem/router combo, or one with wireless too if
that's needed.
You will probably buy your own, ISP's don't sell them.
IMHO Draytek Vigor 2600 range is the best, not cheap though.
Avoid Netgear.
Check out PlusNet ADSL prices before deciding on NTL.
(Note you would need CABLE modem/router for NTL.)
PlusNet is very reliable, resposive and has the cheapest prices.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 3rd 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
george graham

Plusnet whilst price is fine, support, unless you have their supplied
equipment is absolutely non existant.
Read about Draytek vigor here.

http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/f...p?TID=312&PN=1
Broadband buyer has all the bits, their support and assistance is excellent.
George

Old August 3rd 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

Learn how to spell.

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old August 4th 04, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

George Graham:
Plusnet whilst price is fine, support, unless you have their supplied
equipment is absolutely non existant.

You can't seriously expect them to support myriad variations of ADSL modems
/ routers and wifi that you have bought
from any Tom, Dick or Harry !
They are good at their ISP business, supplying dial up and broadband,
and they provide excellent support in that respect.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 4th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:12:10 +0100, guv wrote:

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:41:55 +0100, chris wrote:

: Learn how to spell.
:
:
: Filthy Rich
: Music House
:
: Learn how to post properly, using reference to what you are replying
: to and use a sig seperator.
:
:
: --

...your sig sep is broke though :/

Hmmm! I dont use a sig - but do use a seperator to - er seperate from
the next post! ;-)

It's still broke nevertheless.
There should be a space at the end of it - dash dash space.
--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Please reply to Newsgroup.
Old August 4th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:16:43 +0100, guv wrote:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:58:12 +0100, Filthy Rich
wrote:

Learn how to spell.

Filthy Rich
Music House

Learn how to post properly, using reference to what you are replying
to and use a sig seperator.

Don't tell me how to post, because I replied to the subject header.

You can't spell either, ****....

Filthy Rich
Music House