ADSL migrations - new Industry code of practice launched

Old August 2nd 04, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default ADSL migrations - new Industry code of practice launched

A new Industry code of pratice has been published, which should make ADSL
migrations considerably simplier.

Its at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/

This also means the end of the "CBUK method" of migrations - its to be
replaced by a new system using a Migrations Authority Code (MAC) number
instead and works much more like PAC codes do with transferring mobile phone
numbers between networks.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 2nd 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ezhik

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:35:08 +0100, Sunil Sood wrote:

A new Industry code of pratice has been published, which should make ADSL
migrations considerably simplier.

Its at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/

This also means the end of the "CBUK method" of migrations - its to be
replaced by a new system using a Migrations Authority Code (MAC) number
instead and works much more like PAC codes do with transferring mobile phone
numbers between networks.

Regards
Sunil

It seems to work as advertised too. I applied to BtYahoo last Monday 26th
July for my MAC code, (rang the 0800 1698639 options 2/2 number). They rang
me back in less than 5 minutes with the MAC and emailed it to me. I applied
online with my choice of new ISP straight away, giving them the MAC. The
following day they gave me a migration date of 4th August - 10 days
altogether. I'm quite pleased with this result. BTYahoo were very clued up,
knew exactly what I was talking about and dealt with my request very
quickly. Yet to see what happens on the 4th, though so far, so good.

Ezhik
Old August 2nd 04, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Sunil Sood wrote:

A new Industry code of pratice has been published, which should make ADSL
migrations considerably simplier.

From the web page:

The existing service provider cannot unreasonably refuse to issue
an authorisation code and may only withhold a code if:

* the request is not made by the account holder or the account
holder is deceased

I'm a bit baffled as to how the second half of that condition could apply
without the first half also applying.

-- Richard
Old August 2nd 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 2/8/04 1:17 pm, in article ,
"Ezhik" wrote:

[...]

Nildram OTOH aren't as switched on. Their system is only spitting out CBUK
today and they claim they are having problems with BT providing the with the
MAC numbers.

Sounds decidedly fishy to me ....

Anyone else got a MAC number out of Nildram today ?

Old August 2nd 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

A new Industry code of pratice has been published, which should make ADSL
migrations considerably simplier.

Its at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/

snip

shame wanadoo still have no plans for migration! next provider i choose

will have to allow migration

Ferg

Old August 2nd 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

" A new Industry code of pratice has been published, which should make
ADSL
migrations considerably simplier.

Its at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/

snip

shame wanadoo still have no plans for migration! next provider i choose

will have to allow migration

Ferg

maybe its like orange and you have to ring at least 3 times to get right

info?

Ferg

Old August 2nd 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"ferg" wrote in message

A new Industry code of pratice has been published, which should make
ADSL migrations considerably simplier.

Its at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/

snip

shame wanadoo still have no plans for migration! next provider i
choose will have to allow migration

Wanadoo have signed up to this code as well - all the ISP's who have joined
have until the 16th August to actually implement the code.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 2nd 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

Wanadoo have signed up to this code as well - all the ISP's who have

joined
have until the 16th August to actually implement the code.

Regards
Sunil

that explains why they say no at moment ,if i wait until after 16th august

i have a better chance ,nice one
Sunil,shame bulldog have pulled their best deals

Ferg

Old August 2nd 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"guv" wrote in message

I gave them my cease date on their instruction for Prime2000 and then
they wrote to me AFTER I should already have been connected to say
they are ceasing the service. I feel cheated they refuse to honour the
orders already placed (7 weeks prior to their announcement!)

Whether its legal for them to deny me a service I had already paid for
connection etc, what really sucks with this, is the fact I have had
ADSL for almost 4 years. BT were chucking goods deals in my direction
to stay with them and go to a 1MB connection. Obviously since I had
ceased - those offers would no longer be avaialble. ie Bulldog really
f*cked me up.

I am now finally connected - and have to say the speed is good. only
thing is I am contracted now to paying £15 a month more than I should
have been. That is unreasonable IMHO esp since the only reason I chose
them was the good deal I was getting for Primetime @ £24.99 a month.

Given what you say above, I would certainly have been complaining in your
position - I doubt its legal either as Bulldog accepted your PrimeTime order
and would have taken the activation fee from your account which means you
had a legal contract with them - at the very least I would argue for some
compensation for the extra expense.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 2nd 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"ferg" wrote in message

Wanadoo have signed up to this code as well - all the ISP's who have
joined have until the 16th August to actually implement the code.

that explains why they say no at moment ,if i wait until after 16th
august

i have a better chance ,nice one
Sunil,shame bulldog have pulled their best deals

Yes - I think their concentration is now on increasing the number of LLU
exchanges now.

Regards
Sunil