What cable do I need? (newbie)

Old August 2nd 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

Default What cable do I need? (newbie)

Sorry if this is a basic question to ask but this broadband malarkey is
all new to me. I'm in the process of getting ready for when our
exchange finally upgrades (which should be in October). For neatness
without using dangly microfilters I've ordered the modified BT ADSL
filter/splitter faceplate and dual outlet secondary faceplate from
www.clarity.it . It seems fairly straightforward but the only thing I
was unsure about is what cable do I need.

I was planning to hardwire both the filtered (2,3 &5) and unfiltered (A
& B) line from the modified faceplate to the secondary dual outlet using
one piece of 5-pair cable. I've seen Cat5e cable mentioned a lot - is
this the cable I need? I've only seen it available in 4-pair but is
5-pair available or will I have to run 2 separate cables.
Cheers.

Old August 2nd 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

Mark wrote:

I was planning to hardwire both the filtered (2,3 &5) and unfiltered (A
& B) line from the modified faceplate to the secondary dual outlet using
one piece of 5-pair cable. I've seen Cat5e cable mentioned a lot - is
this the cable I need? I've only seen it available in 4-pair but is
5-pair available or will I have to run 2 separate cables.
Cheers.

Three pairs are all you need (well 2.5 pairs actually)

2&5 pair 1
A&B pair 2
3 single wire from pair 3

So standard twisted phone cable (4 piar) should do and its slimmer and
cheaper than CAT 5

--
JP
Old August 2nd 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

"John Philip" wrote in message Three pairs are
all you need (well 2.5 pairs actually)

2&5 pair 1
A&B pair 2
3 single wire from pair 3

So standard twisted phone cable (4 piar) should do and its slimmer and
cheaper than CAT 5

Oh I understand now, thanks.
When it mentioned 3 or 4-pair I thought it actually meant there was only
3 or 4 wires at each end and I would need 5 - Doh!