faceplates and extended reach

Old August 2nd 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

Default faceplates and extended reach

I dimly recollect that in the MK 'extended reach' press release there
was some mention of the need to change the faceplate if the signal was
marginal

1) Is this right?
If so
2) why does it produce a significant change?
and
3) How big is the change?
(and so is it worth doing on existing installations)?

Bob
--
robert w hall
Old September 21st 04, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

"robert w hall" wrote in message
I dimly recollect that in the MK 'extended reach' press release there
was some mention of the need to change the faceplate if the signal was
marginal

1) Is this right?
If so
2) why does it produce a significant change?
and
3) How big is the change?
(and so is it worth doing on existing installations)?

Bob
--
robert w hall

1. Yes.

2. It removes all extensions and house wiring from the equation. The ADSL
is filtered out at the master socket and all extensions are 'Phone only'.

3. 1db in my case, not much.
(makes exsisting installations tidier)

Paul Kirk

Old September 21st 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article ,
wooosh writes

"robert w hall" wrote in message
I dimly recollect that in the MK 'extended reach' press release there
was some mention of the need to change the faceplate if the signal was
marginal

1) Is this right?
If so
2) why does it produce a significant change?
and
3) How big is the change?
(and so is it worth doing on existing installations)?

Bob
--
robert w hall

1. Yes.

2. It removes all extensions and house wiring from the equation. The ADSL
is filtered out at the master socket and all extensions are 'Phone only'.

3. 1db in my case, not much.
(makes exsisting installations tidier)

Paul Kirk

(Golly that post was days ago! - better late than never)

Is the 1db in attenuation or SNR??

--
robert w hall
Old September 21st 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article ,
wooosh writes

"robert w hall" wrote in message
In article ,
wooosh writes
robert w hall

1. Yes.

2. It removes all extensions and house wiring from the equation. The
ADSL
is filtered out at the master socket and all extensions are 'Phone only'.

3. 1db in my case, not much.
(makes exsisting installations tidier)

Paul Kirk

(Golly that post was days ago! - better late than never)

Is the 1db in attenuation or SNR??

--
robert w hall

1db improvement in attenuation.

Hmm, well if it works by 'cutting the crap' it's the SNR change which
should be more relevant I'd a' thought...
Any figures for that??
--
robert w hall
Old September 21st 04, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wooosh wrote:

[...]

It's certainly worth doing if the master socket is conveniently located -
such that your ADSL equipment can plug straight into it. If it isn't in a
convenient location, you will need to run a *digital* extension from it
(separate from any phone extensions) to a point near the computer.

[If you need a digital extension, this can be done more neatly by using one
of the modified ADSL faceplates available from Clarity (
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm ) which enables it to be
hardwired into the back rather than plugging into the front.]
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 21st 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

"wooosh" wrote in message

[...]

I installed a new adsl master socket (one from Clarity with additional
dedicated adsl terminals on the back) and ran a 30m CAT5 cable from there to
my router.

Previously the router was plugged into a standard extension socket via a
filter and it would lose sync with the exchange several times per day,
sometimes as many as 20. Since moving to the dedicated cable at the
weekend, the adsl connection has remained up for 2 days 22 hours and the
attenuation has fallen by about 3db. More significantly, the noise margin
has improved by about 5db. Looks like my extension wiring (of which there
was quite a lot) was introducing plenty of noise.

In my case therefore it was well worth doing; I might even be able to get a
1Mb service now!

Old September 21st 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

[...]

See my other post below.

Old September 21st 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , DMG
writes

[...]

Yes I had thanks :-) (I use a decent newsreader)

It was whoosh's figure I was after, (to compare n' contrast)
Bob

--
robert w hall