Idiot's Guide

Old August 2nd 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bell

Default Idiot's Guide

Just got broadband and i have a wireless ADSL router with no firewall which
uses the connexant chip set. This leaves ports 21,80, 254 and 255 open.
It has NAT and port forwardingcapabilities. I am looking for an idiots
guide to networking and making this setup secure. Any pointers??

Ian
Old August 3rd 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
Just got broadband and i have a wireless ADSL router with no firewall

which
uses the connexant chip set. This leaves ports 21,80, 254 and 255 open.
It has NAT and port forwardingcapabilities. I am looking for an idiots
guide to networking and making this setup secure. Any pointers??

The usual method to hide oen ports in this situation is to forward them to a
non existant IP address on your internal network. They should then give no
reponse to any probes

Paul

Old August 3rd 04, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bell

chris wrote:

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:56:45 +0100 and in article [email protected]
berlin.de, Ian Bell said...
: Just got broadband and i have a wireless ADSL router with no firewall
: which
: uses the connexant chip set. This leaves ports 21,80, 254 and 255 open.
: It has NAT and port forwardingcapabilities. I am looking for an idiots
: guide to networking and making this setup secure. Any pointers??
:
I would search http://groups.google.com for a string of words to help
your query - use group:uk.comp.home-networking.

ie, 'networking help + ADSL + router group:uk.comp.home-networking'
should throw up a fair few good results.

Already done that. Loads of articles that either assume certain knowledge
or different hardware hence my request here.

Ian