PCI Card - Antennas

Old August 3rd 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Default PCI Card - Antennas

Ian Stirling wrote in
:

In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
Ensure any PCI cards that you use have antennas that can be seperated
out a bit from the card, on a short bit of cable.
Otherwise, you can run into problems with the PCs shielding the
signal.

I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.

I am thinking of buying the equipment from amazon, but I am still not
sure which PCI card to get. The Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter for 36
says it has a "Detachable Antenna" but the picture in amazon shows it
connected and I dont know if it will come with any cable.

I had a quick look in PC World (not for the prices obviously!) but I
could only see a Belkin 11b card showing one with cable and an aerial.

Is there one that you would recommend, or would I need to buy some sort
of cable for the Linksys adapter?

One bit I left out was I would like to place the router on a table under
the sloping roof. Will it matter that it isnt placed high up as I am
only needing wireless access over one floor, as it is a flat.

At a pinch I could put it in the bedroom if it could be mounted on the
wall, but I would not like to have to put up a shelf.

Thanks
Old August 3rd 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Stone Free spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote in
:

In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
Ensure any PCI cards that you use have antennas that can be seperated
out a bit from the card, on a short bit of cable.
Otherwise, you can run into problems with the PCs shielding the
signal.

I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.

I am thinking of buying the equipment from amazon, but I am still not
sure which PCI card to get. The Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter for ?36
says it has a "Detachable Antenna" but the picture in amazon shows it
connected and I dont know if it will come with any cable.

As long as the antenna can stick out a bit from the side of the
PC as seen from the router, it should be OK.
It runs into problems if the PC is directly between them.

Old August 3rd 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Kappler

I ran into signal problems from PCI cards in the early days of
802.11b. The solution I used was not to buy PCI cards at all, but to
buy USB adaptors with cables to the PC.

These can sit on the desktop (as in "top of desk") and sited where
they facilitate the best signal.

The other advantage is that you dont have to put them in the PC case,
and can easily move them if changing PC.

You can get them for either .11b or .11g. D-Link definitely do them,
and I think LinkSys do. Cant say I've found any Belkin ones though.

Cheers,

JohnK

Old August 3rd 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 03 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, John F Kappler wrote:

You can get them for either .11b or .11g. D-Link definitely do them,
and I think LinkSys do. Cant say I've found any Belkin ones though.

Ebuyer sells/sold Belkin USB units in June. 2 cost 38 +VAT from memory
(they were delivered here - a friend had ordered the Belkin 7630 (?) to
connect up his 'office' with a laptop for use in the house/garden and a
son's PC in one bedroom). Originally we ordered a single USB unit, with
the ADSL modem/router/WAP but over the next 48 hours they decided units
were out of stock so offered free delivery for any other purchase. Once
we were sure the laptop had USB, ordered 2 and I set things up and used
the laptop to test his kit (he and his family were away in Devon). Just
as you chose USB to allow for positioning unit, with the bedroom PC the
installation of a PCI card would have left it screened from the WAP and
using the USB allowed it to be put on the top of the desk/storage unit.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.