help with static ip block

Old August 3rd 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
teeno

Default help with static ip block

Hi people hope someone can help me here i have just got a block of 8 static
ip's from pipex i have a d-link dsl-504 router, when logging in i can only
use one of the IP's that pipex provided if i try giving the router any of
the other 7 ip's it just wont let me login ... is this right???

another thing can anyone help me setup or give me a URL that gives info on
how to setup the dsl-504 with multi static ip block, i have searched the
documennts that came with the router but its less than helpful in this area

thanx in advance

Old August 3rd 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Default help with static ip block / or DLINK equipment sucks?

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:57:34 +0100, teeno wrote:

Hi people hope someone can help me here i have just got a block of 8
static ip's from pipex i have a d-link dsl-504 router, when logging in i
can only use one of the IP's that pipex provided if i try giving the
router any of the other 7 ip's it just wont let me login ... is this
right???

another thing can anyone help me setup or give me a URL that gives info on
how to setup the dsl-504 with multi static ip block, i have searched the
documennts that came with the router but its less than helpful in this
area

I don't know about your particular model, but the DSL-300T is retarded...
I don't hold my breath for any help from Dlink, but here goes.
You are at least a bit closer than me in that you can get one pc working-
I couldn't get anything working out of the box!

The 300T is a uClinux based embedded device- so a bit of Linux commands
gets me to where I need (though not perfect). If it is a linux based
device you should be able to login with the username "root" and password
"admin". (telnet to the 192.x.x.x host).

The output of "route -n" and "arp -n" and "iptables --list", and then t
might be possible to help out. The general steps I needed:
- add a route for 0.0.0.0 over ppp0 (wan port)
- add routes for all 6 useable IP's over br0 (bridge)
- add arp entries to point all 6 useable IP's to the correct arp of my
host.
- disable DLINK's firewall which blocks traffic.

My network setup is as follows, it should be possible to just put the
router direct onto a switch (with correct ARP detail), but I go via a real
Linux box with firewall and servers as I require. I'm able to use all 6
useable IP's from my /29 block.

[ adsl line ]

|WAN
[ dlink 300T ]
| 192.168.1.1
|

| eth1 interface ip
| 82.x.y.86/24
[ linux-box-gw ] 82.x.y.86/24 dgw 82.x.y.86 [1]
| eth0
|
| eth0 interface ip
| 17x.20.0.13/27
|
| routing table($)
| 82.x.y.85/32 gw 17x.20.0.1 eth0
| 82.x.y.84/32 gw 17x.20.0.9 eth0
| 82.x.y.82/32 gw
| 0.0.0.0 gw 82.x.y.87 eth1

[ switch ]

If it really is a linux based box I might be able to help further with the
output of the commands above.

--
Regards,
Adam Allen.

PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?...e.net&op=index

Old August 4th 04, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
teeno

"Adam" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:57:34 +0100, teeno wrote:

Hi people hope someone can help me here i have just got a block of 8
static ip's from pipex i have a d-link dsl-504 router, when logging in i
can only use one of the IP's that pipex provided if i try giving the
router any of the other 7 ip's it just wont let me login ... is this
right???

another thing can anyone help me setup or give me a URL that gives info

on
how to setup the dsl-504 with multi static ip block, i have searched the
documennts that came with the router but its less than helpful in this
area

I don't know about your particular model, but the DSL-300T is retarded...
I don't hold my breath for any help from Dlink, but here goes.
You are at least a bit closer than me in that you can get one pc working-
I couldn't get anything working out of the box!

The 300T is a uClinux based embedded device- so a bit of Linux commands
gets me to where I need (though not perfect). If it is a linux based
device you should be able to login with the username "root" and password
"admin". (telnet to the 192.x.x.x host).

The output of "route -n" and "arp -n" and "iptables --list", and then t
might be possible to help out. The general steps I needed:
- add a route for 0.0.0.0 over ppp0 (wan port)
- add routes for all 6 useable IP's over br0 (bridge)
- add arp entries to point all 6 useable IP's to the correct arp of my
host.
- disable DLINK's firewall which blocks traffic.

My network setup is as follows, it should be possible to just put the
router direct onto a switch (with correct ARP detail), but I go via a real
Linux box with firewall and servers as I require. I'm able to use all 6
useable IP's from my /29 block.

[ adsl line ]

|WAN
[ dlink 300T ]
| 192.168.1.1
|

| eth1 interface ip
| 82.x.y.86/24
[ linux-box-gw ] 82.x.y.86/24 dgw 82.x.y.86 [1]
| eth0
|
| eth0 interface ip
| 17x.20.0.13/27
|
| routing table($)
| 82.x.y.85/32 gw 17x.20.0.1 eth0
| 82.x.y.84/32 gw 17x.20.0.9 eth0
| 82.x.y.82/32 gw
| 0.0.0.0 gw 82.x.y.87 eth1

[ switch ]

If it really is a linux based box I might be able to help further with the
output of the commands above.

--
Regards,
Adam Allen.

PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?...e.net&op=index

Adam well after a bit of messing arounf i got it to work first of all i had
the PPP set to static instead on unnumbered and io also had nat on which it
did not like as soon as i took nat off all the IP's work great oh i also had
to alter the ethernet IP to the one that the ISP gave me.... i thank you for
your input maybe if you still are running with NAT or a router IP of
192.168.*.* if you alter them i hope it might work for you too if you need a
more detailes please ask

Old August 4th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:47:28 +0100, teeno wrote:

snip

Adam well after a bit of messing arounf i got it to work first of all i
had the PPP set to static instead on unnumbered and io also had nat on
which it did not like as soon as i took nat off all the IP's work great
oh i also had to alter the ethernet IP to the one that the ISP gave
me.... i thank you for your input maybe if you still are running with
NAT or a router IP of 192.168.*.* if you alter them i hope it might work
for you too if you need a more detailes please ask

After digging around a little more I don't think my piece of junk was
doing NAT, just loading the kernel modules (for some reason). If I had to
hazzard a guess I would say I have a router that's been adapted into a
modem.

Have you managed to use all the IP's on your own system without the
dlink router hogging one for itself?

I have a script that runs every 30 minutss which to check if the bridge is
still up and still doing sensible things (like sending Internet traffic
over the ppp link for a start), and reduces the MTU. (I found that it
would only alter the MRU not MTU- and ended up with a fair bit of dropped
traffic). The DLINK was sending out 1500 byte IP packets but then
discarding anything bigger than 1384 bytes. How are remote sites going to
know that I'm going to trash packets 1384.

I think I'll leave things as they until I get an hour or two spare to
investigate it properly. But thanks for the feedback.

(Besides my way I stop the status light blinking- I can't be the only
one that associates blinking lights with broken ;-)

--
Cheers,

Old August 5th 04, 04:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Adam wrote in
news
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:47:28 +0100, teeno wrote:

snip

Adam well after a bit of messing arounf i got it to work first of
all i had the PPP set to static instead on unnumbered and io also

teeno:
The official D-Link info for a Non-NAT setup on the DSL-504 can be
found he
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-504_rev_b/

The best site for all info on the DSL-504 can be found he
http://shadow.sentry.org/~trev/dsl50x.html

Since it's been mentioned, the DSL-504+ runs an embedded OS called
ATMOS from GlobespanVirata (now part of Conexant).

If you do need to telnet in, the password is the SNMP 'Write'
community string, which by default is 'private'.

After digging around a little more I don't think my piece of junk
was doing NAT, just loading the kernel modules (for some reason).
If I had to hazzard a guess I would say I have a router that's
been adapted into a modem.

Adam:
You're not wrong - all the new "T" series models have similar
internals, running firmware with much common code under the BusyBox
embedded Linux kernel.

There have been several (3?) firmware releases to get rid of silly
things like "NAT on a modem" which you describe. Find software
updates here - the current one dated 18-Jun-04:
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-300t/

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old August 5th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:47:33 +0000, Richard Perkin wrote:

You're not wrong - all the new "T" series models have similar internals,
running firmware with much common code under the BusyBox embedded Linux
kernel.

There have been several (3?) firmware releases to get rid of silly things
like "NAT on a modem" which you describe. Find software updates here - the
current one dated 18-Jun-04:
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-300t/

Unfortunately I'm running the lastest firmware. I think I'd rather the old
firmware, at least that managed to get a default route over ppp0.

I'm not holding my breath for Dlink to offer any kind of support.

thanks anyways.

Old August 6th 04, 03:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
teeno

Adam the dlink has taken one of the IP yes but i guess that is better than
only been able to use 1 of them ... i am sorry to hear you are unable to
solve your issue at the moment lets hope dlink can help u and i guess many
others in the same situation
news

Old August 26th 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris

Can you please let me know what steps you had to perform to use your
/29 block with the DSL-300T?

Thanks,

Chris