can't get ADSL as over 3mile from exchange BUT is isdn BT HOME HIGHWAY a worth while option if I can get it

Old August 3rd 04, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

Default can't get ADSL as over 3mile from exchange BUT is isdn BT HOME HIGHWAY a worth while option if I can get it

I live 3.5 miles from centre of MAIDENHEAD (as the crow flies) but the
length of line I am told is nearly double this and as a consequence I
cant get Broadband.
I looked at BT Home Highway site which is ISDN and as a novice I got
confused as to whether or not this is an alternative for those who cant
get Broadband OR is it a system peculiar to BT as I don't seem to see
any other people offering ISDN but ADSL only
What are the pros and cons ISDN to ADSL ? I am sure that there many
people like me who cant get Broadband AND Live on the outskirts of town
and not next door to "the exchange"
I welcome constructive comments
--
Ronald Jones
Old August 3rd 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ronald Jones" wrote in message

I live 3.5 miles from centre of MAIDENHEAD (as the crow flies) but the
length of line I am told is nearly double this and as a consequence I
cant get Broadband.

BT are planning to change/extend the limit that the 512K ADSL service is
available in October.

As such, you may want to wait until then - also see my other post
"extended reach" trial

Regards
Sunil

Old August 3rd 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:09:18 +0100, Ronald Jones
wrote:

I live 3.5 miles from centre of MAIDENHEAD (as the crow flies) but the
length of line I am told is nearly double this and as a consequence I
cant get Broadband.
I looked at BT Home Highway site which is ISDN and as a novice I got
confused as to whether or not this is an alternative for those who cant
get Broadband OR is it a system peculiar to BT as I don't seem to see
any other people offering ISDN but ADSL only
What are the pros and cons ISDN to ADSL ? I am sure that there many
people like me who cant get Broadband AND Live on the outskirts of town
and not next door to "the exchange"
I welcome constructive comments

Ronald

I use ISDN because we were told by BT that there was no
likelihood of Broadband in the village for the foreseeable
future (6 months down the road and we've got an install date for
broadband but that's another issue).

ISDN will give you 64k on one line or 128k by bonding the lines
together - i.e. a quarter of the speed of broadband for about
150% of the price.

All ISP's seem to support it but details are usually tucked
away, on the basis, I suspect, that you must be a plonker to buy
it!

Having said that it does work, you do get a full 64k/128k (it's
all yours, no contention) and there's so few customers that you
can spend an hour or so chatting to support (on a free number)
because they are so desperate for company - they will never let
you go until your system is working 100% and you always get
straight through to them

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Please reply to Newsgroup.
Old August 3rd 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

In message , Jeff Gaines
writes
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info just what I wanted to know but as an 80Yr silver
surfer BT had better get their skates on if I am to enjoy the delights
for any length of time ;-(
I guess the same goes for Midband which I noticed today and adds
further to the marketing confusion that phone companies are so adept
at
How BT get the 97percent figure for coverage is beyond comprehension

It is frustraiting as I can see the Maidenhead ADSL Exchange across
the fields from my bedroom. The BT engineer repairing my neighbours line
told me last week that the line was a mixture of copper .fibre optics
and it was probable that the quality of the line would never be good
enough .I will hang on to see what happens at the end of the year .
Regards
--
Ronald Jones
Old August 3rd 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

In message , Sunil Sood
writes
"Ronald Jones" wrote in message

I live 3.5 miles from centre of MAIDENHEAD (as the crow flies) but the
length of line I am told is nearly double this and as a consequence I
cant get Broadband.

BT are planning to change/extend the limit that the 512K ADSL service is
available in October.

As such, you may want to wait until then - also see my other post
"extended reach" trial

Very interesting I will wait till end Oct
Thanks
--
Ronald Jones
Old August 3rd 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

In message , Jeff Gaines
writes
wrote:

[...]

Helpful and useful info. I t makes you wonder why it is offered as it is
such a rip off. But its a case of any port in a storm for a business
person working from home and Mid band falls into the same category.
For silver surfers on fixed income it is a definite NO NO I will see
what the situation is like at the end of Oct
Regards
--
Ronald Jones
Old August 3rd 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:32:08 +0100, Tx2
wrote:

In article , whitedragon101
, a.k.a Jeff Gaines says...

[...]

Having said that it does work, you do get a full 64k/128k (it's
all yours, no contention) and there's so few customers that you
can spend an hour or so chatting to support (on a free number)
because they are so desperate for company - they will never let
you go until your system is working 100% and you always get
straight through to them

You forgot to add that it's also ridiculously expensive by comparison.

You managed to snip:

ISDN will give you 64k on one line or 128k by bonding the lines
together - i.e. a quarter of the speed of broadband for about
150% of the price.

and All ISP's seem to support it but details are usually tucked
away, on the basis, I suspect, that you must be a plonker to buy
it!

Which I thought covered the pricing issue?

Old August 3rd 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cy Nichol

Ronald Jones wrote in message ...
I live 3.5 miles from centre of MAIDENHEAD (as the crow flies) but the
length of line I am told is nearly double this and as a consequence I
cant get Broadband.
I looked at BT Home Highway site which is ISDN and as a novice I got
confused as to whether or not this is an alternative for those who cant
get Broadband OR is it a system peculiar to BT as I don't seem to see
any other people offering ISDN but ADSL only
What are the pros and cons ISDN to ADSL ? I am sure that there many
people like me who cant get Broadband AND Live on the outskirts of town
and not next door to "the exchange"
I welcome constructive comments

This may be the answer to your problem.

www.onspeed.com

--
Cy Nichol
Old August 4th 04, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Lewis

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:26:40 +0100, Ronald Jones
wrote:

It is frustraiting as I can see the Maidenhead ADSL Exchange across
the fields from my bedroom. The BT engineer repairing my neighbours line
told me last week that the line was a mixture of copper .fibre optics
and it was probable that the quality of the line would never be good
enough .I will hang on to see what happens at the end of the year .

The fibre optics is probably the biggest issue - I believe ADSL can't
be used on it.

--
TonyL