Cost of having a router plgged in 24/7 ??

Old August 4th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

Default Cost of having a router plgged in 24/7 ??

I'm a bit concerned how much my Belkin router uses, how much are we talking
Would it use more 'leccy' when other pc's are connected to it also ?

Old August 4th 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"___" wrote in message ...
I'm a bit concerned how much my Belkin router uses, how much are we

talking
Would it use more 'leccy' when other pc's are connected to it also ?

My solwise router uses a little under 5 of electricity a year to run all
the time.

More connections should make no material difference.

Jc.

Old August 4th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

"Josey" wrote in message

"___" wrote in message

I'm a bit concerned how much my Belkin router uses, how much are we

talking
Would it use more 'leccy' when other pc's are connected to it also ?

My solwise router uses a little under 5 of electricity a year to run all
the time.

Hmm how did you work that out ?

Old August 4th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"___" wrote in message ...

"Josey" wrote in message

"___" wrote in message

I'm a bit concerned how much my Belkin router uses, how much are we

talking
Would it use more 'leccy' when other pc's are connected to it also ?

My solwise router uses a little under 5 of electricity a year to run

all
the time.

Hmm how did you work that out ?

Put the cost per Kw/H into my mains cost meter and ran it for a while.

Jc.

Old August 4th 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

___ wrote:
I'm a bit concerned how much my Belkin router uses, how much are we talking
Would it use more 'leccy' when other pc's are connected to it also ?

As the other poster said, it'll generally use around a tenth of the power
that a typical idle PC will.
(using old PCs as routers can actually be more expensive due to the
electricity use).

It will not use any significant amount more power when many things are
connected to it.
Old August 4th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nat Stott

"___" wrote in message ...
I'm a bit concerned how much my Belkin router uses, how much are we

talking
Would it use more 'leccy' when other pc's are connected to it also ?

It probably uses 10-15watts all the time, you would probably find that the
adapter on its own would continue to use 10 watts even if the router were
unplugged.

10watts*24*365=87kWh at 7p/unit=ukp6