Increasing from 512k to 1Mb connection - do I need new modem ?

Old August 4th 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MarkF

Default Increasing from 512k to 1Mb connection - do I need new modem ?

Hi folks!

This might sound like a silly question, but do I have to upgrade my adsl
modem (I actually have a Netgear DG834G wireless router with modem built in)
if I increase my broadband connection from 512kb to 1Mb ?

Many thanks.

Mark

Old August 4th 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

"MarkF" wrote in message
Hi folks!

This might sound like a silly question, but do I have to upgrade my adsl
modem (I actually have a Netgear DG834G wireless router with modem built

in)
if I increase my broadband connection from 512kb to 1Mb ?

Many thanks.

Mark

No, it will be good for upto 8MB

Old August 4th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean McConkey

In article , [email protected]
trix.please-remove.co.uk says...
Hi folks!

This might sound like a silly question, but do I have to upgrade my adsl
modem (I actually have a Netgear DG834G wireless router with modem built in)
if I increase my broadband connection from 512kb to 1Mb ?

Many thanks.

No.
Old August 4th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"MarkF" wrote in message
Hi folks!

This might sound like a silly question, but do I have to upgrade my adsl
modem (I actually have a Netgear DG834G wireless router with modem built

in)
if I increase my broadband connection from 512kb to 1Mb ?

Many thanks.

Mark

Nope, the router should work fine with the 1Mb connection, if
i remember correctly it works upto a 8Mb connection

Andrew

Old August 4th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lofty

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...
In article , , a.k.a
huLLy says...

No, it will be good for upto 8MB

But will BT ever put us in that position?

Yes of course they will if we live till we are 364

Old August 4th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"huLLy" wrote in message

"MarkF" wrote in message
This might sound like a silly question, but do I have to upgrade my
adsl modem (I actually have a Netgear DG834G wireless router with
modem built in) if I increase my broadband connection from 512kb to
1Mb ?

No, it will be good for upto 8MB

Actually the DG834G should cope with even faster speeds as its chipset
supports ADSL2/2+. (via firmware updates)

Only "ADSL" is limited to 8MB.

Regards
Sunil