FREEUK never mentioned???

Old August 4th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news.ntlworld.com

Default FREEUK never mentioned???

I've had a dial up freeuk account since they began many moons ago.
Their service has always been good and importantly for me good newsgroup
access.
Looking at their ADSL package they offer 10gb of newsgroup downloads per
month.
I emailed them last week to check whether they had a sign up fee as I
couldn't
see it mentioned, but they didn't want to answer for once.
I now believe there is no fee, but if you cancel you basically pay the fee
then, about
50+VAT - can anyone confirm this and any feedback on Freeuk ADSL welcome.

Old August 4th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:42:23 GMT, "news.ntlworld.com"
wrote:

I've had a dial up freeuk account since they began many moons ago.
Their service has always been good and importantly for me good newsgroup
access.
Looking at their ADSL package they offer 10gb of newsgroup downloads per
month.
I emailed them last week to check whether they had a sign up fee as I
couldn't
see it mentioned, but they didn't want to answer for once.
I now believe there is no fee, but if you cancel you basically pay the fee
then, about
50+VAT - can anyone confirm this and any feedback on Freeuk ADSL welcome.

I too had a dialup account with Freeuk and was very pleased with them
but when I enquired about 6 months ago there WAS a set up fee.

I ended up going with Pipex, no set up fee, cheaper than most and
choice of cheap modem or buy your own.

Geoff Lane

Old August 5th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 04 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "news.ntlworld.com" wrote:

I emailed them last week to check whether they had a sign up fee as I
couldn't see it mentioned, but they didn't want to answer for once.
I now believe there is no fee, but if you cancel you basically pay
the fee then, about 50+VAT - can anyone confirm this

About 18 months ago (when many ISPs were passing on the BT Wholesale
discount of 50% off signup to end users) I asked whether FreeUK would
offer a lower setup fee, and the response was that they were passing
on what they were charged (ignoring my comment about the 50% discount)
otherwise I would have considered them.

any feedback on Freeuk ADSL welcome.

One of my clients in London is using them and apart from a brief mail
problem in the last 3-4 weeks (unable to connect to the SMTP relay),
everything has been fine for them for over a year. They mainly use
it for mail and a little browsing. I'd have suggested a service
with a fixed IP (for troubleshooting, using VNC or similar) but if
it does what you want, then fine. PlusNet also has a fee for setup
but has no limit on news downloads and is worth a look - you can try
them out on a PAYG basis to see how the news completion compares (and
you might be surprised as it is probably very close to Claranet now).

--
PlusNet - good value ISP - http://tinyurl.com/24ymz
If you are unhappy with the ADSL service, PlusNet