Want to test my 4mb dsl -- can't find large files lol

Old August 4th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Default Want to test my 4mb dsl -- can't find large files lol

Would like to test my new 4mb dsl to see what speeds I really can get. I
have tried p2p applications like emule etc, but am not very thrilled with
the speeds.

Does anyone know any sites that have large files (doesn't matter what) that
are free to download so I could test my speed.

Thanks .

Old August 4th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

http://www.ulead.co.uk/

Old August 4th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spoon

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 02:13:10 +0530, [Bill] said :-

Would like to test my new 4mb dsl to see what speeds I really can get. I
have tried p2p applications like emule etc, but am not very thrilled with
the speeds.

Does anyone know any sites that have large files (doesn't matter what) that
are free to download so I could test my speed.

Thanks .

Try microsoft, and get one of their huge downloads for service packs
(things like xpsp1a)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...1/network.mspx

They have massive bandwidth, and you should get a sustained d/l rate.

You don't have to completely download, just check the browser speed on
download after a settling period.
Old August 4th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 04 Aug 2004, Bill wrote

Would like to test my new 4mb dsl to see what speeds I really can
get. I have tried p2p applications like emule etc, but am not very
thrilled with the speeds.

Does anyone know any sites that have large files (doesn't matter
what) that are free to download so I could test my speed.

The Linux distros tend to be substantial.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old August 5th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test or http://ocean.zen.co.uk

www.mirrorservice.org (the old mirror.ac.uk) might also be worth a look.

Old August 5th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Bill" wrote:

Would like to test my new 4mb dsl to see what speeds I really can get.
Does anyone know any sites that have large files (doesn't matter what)
that are free to download so I could test my speed.

You could try the webcams from PlusNet (until they cut them from outside
access or limit the upper speed, maybe :-) and with MS IE you could open
more than one at a time (hint: ctrl-N) but you may need a plugin.

Their webcam index: http://www.plus.net/webcams/index.html

--
TalkTalk for free calls to other TT customers...
Reductions on calls to up to 3 mobile numbers...
Old August 5th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Networkguy

Does anyone know any sites that have large files (doesn't matter what)
that
are free to download so I could test my speed.

www.wmvhd.com

All being served by big servers on big pipes